Allergic gastrointestinal disease
Dates to be confirmed
This course will cover the pathophysiology, clinical presentation, advanced diagnostic work-up and therapeutic approach for allergic gastrointestinal diseases, such eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorders. Difficult practical scenarios such as multiple dietary exclusions, functional and protracted symptoms (such as reflux, pain or diarrhoea) will be addressed.
This course forms part of a range of two-day face-to-face short courses in Allergy which are available both to students who are enrolled on the MSc in allergy programme, and as stand-alone CPD programmes for GPs, specialist trainees and consultants, nurses, dietitians and other healthcare professionals wishing to improve their ability to manage allergic patients in daily practice.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Appraise the most up-to-date preventive strategies, diagnostic tests and treatments for patients with allergic gastrointestinal disease (AGID), relate them to the underlying mechanisms, and appropriately apply them in clinical practice
- Interpret the results of advanced diagnostic procedures in patients with suspected AGID such as endoscopy or novel non-invasive biomarkers in the context of clinical history
- Differentiate functional gastrointestinal disorders and other likely diagnoses from AGID based on clinical history and the results of a proposed diagnostic work-up
- Address difficult scenarios in practice such as protracted symptoms (reflux, pain, diarrhoea) or multiple dietary exclusions
- Decide the most appropriate level of care (primary/secondary/tertiary) in clinical practice for patients with AGID
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for doctors (GPs, specialist trainees and consultants in Allergy, Paediatrics, Gastroenterology), as well as nurses, dietitians, nutritionists and other healthcare professionals wishing to improve their ability to manage patients with allergic gastrointestinal disease in daily practice.
Allergy short courses are delivered in a blended format through a mixture of face-to-face and online teaching. You will attend 2 days teaching at Imperial College London where leading experts will deliver lectures and interactive sessions with question & answer elements, quizzes and case-based discussions. For a limited time after the course, you will have access online to all lecture notes and presentations, lecture recordings and other e-resources to enable flexible learning.
Participants have the option of completing an assessment component and on completion will be provided with an official Imperial College London transcript of results. Details of the assessment and deadline for submission will be given during the course. Please note that there is an additional assessment fee payable in full prior to submission date. Please contact us for further information.
Comments from past participants
"Absolutely excellent - well done everyone"
"Very well organised "
"..I am now condsidering applying for the MSc"