Writing Tools for Research Publication Success
Engage with Imperial CfAE experts live online!
- Duration: The masterclass consists of 5 x 2-hr live online training sessions delivered over a 5-week period.
In addition, you are expected to spend 20-30 minutes each week in your own time completing short tasks to prepare for each live session.
Total learning hours: 12.5 hours
- Contact us
Are you about to write a research paper for publication? If so, this masterclass will train you to read more efficiently to write more effectively for the STEMM journals you wish to publish in.
This online masterclass, developed and delivered by the Centre for Academic English, provides targeted input and training towards writing a research paper for publication in your STEMM field. You will be given tools to analyse research articles in your own discipline to help you eventually create your own effective texts for publication. Through detailed, guided text analysis and exercises, you will learn to develop models for writing a research paper in your own field, and you will also gain knowledge of language features specific to key sections of a research paper.
The training sessions will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. These will consist of plenaries and small group collaborative activities.
A Microsoft Class Notebook will be used for the collaborative activities. These will provide opportunities for formative feedback.
The entire programme will be delivered in English.
Key learning objectives
On completion of this masterclass, you’ll be able to:
- use your reading of research papers to enhance your writing
- identify the key features of effective research papers
- organise and connect information optimally
- make appropriate language choices
- become reader aware
This masterclass is designed for postgraduate STEMM researchers (MSc/MRes/PhD) about to write a research paper for publication.
All participants’ English level will be no lower than IELTS 6.5.
Places on the programme are limited to 32 maximum.
Comments from past participants
- I will definitely apply the reverse-engineering method and I can see already the benefits in my reading and writing.
- I found the mix of teaching, small group work, independent work, and then discussion really useful and I think it has likely cemented my understanding and ability to apply the principles much better than if it had been run in a different format.
- I feel much more confident in the way I find important information on a paper and how each session should be addressed.
- We think the manuscript reads much better now, and I have learned an immense amount about good writing from this course!
- Very good insight into emphasis, structuring of papers and how to focus the reader on the importance of the work. Very good trainers!
In the final session of the masterclass (week 5), you will present your findings from a small-group project. Upon successful completion, participants will receive a digital certificate, grade and project transcript from Imperial College London upon completion.