empty bench in green park with blossom

What do we do?

We know that university can be a high-pressured environment where everyone strives for academic excellence. This might sometimes result in comparing yourself to others and feeling that everyone else is progressing faster than you. You may spend long hours in the library and feel stressed, anxious, or low in mood. Here at Imperial, we want to make sure you are supported not only academically but also with your mental health and wellbeing.

The Student Mental Health Intervention Officers will provide support and guidance on a wide range of mental health and wellbeing services both internally and externally.

Please contact us on concernedaboutastudent@imperial.ac.uk if:

  • you are experiencing mental health difficulties
  • You are aware of a friend at Imperial who is struggling

Please note that all our support is open to students at all levels.

What can we support you with?

Please contact us if you are experiencing any of the below and finding them unmanageable

  • Risk to self or others
  • Emotional distress
  • Reduced engagement with studies due to mental health distress
  • Anxiety or stress
  • Depression
  • Loneliness
  • Mental health issues
  • Erratic or disruptive behaviour
  • Suicidal thinking or intent to act on suicidal thoughts

How to make a referral

To make a referral, please complete the online form. Just select the Concerned About a Student Form. You can use the form to contact us for yourself or someone you are worried about.

In addition to self-referrals, you can make a referral on behalf of another student if you have concerns regarding their mental health. We maintain anonymity throughout this process and would not inform the student of who referred them. This allows us to provide mental health support to students in need who may be struggling to reach out for support.

When we hear from you, the Student Mental Health Interventions Officers will contact you to arrange a conversation which will allow us to provide the most suitable support for you.

We will probably:

  • Signpost you to an external mental health service
  • Refer you to our Mental Health Advisers or Counsellors
  • Link you in with internal student support services around the college

Please note that our services are only accessible to students currently residing within the UK.

If you are experiencing difficulties with your mental health whilst outside of the UK, please consider referring to the below for support:


CALM Zone is a UK based Mental Health Charity, which has created a list of Mental Health Charities in different countries, who may be able to provide help and support for students outside the UK.


Who We Are

Temi Olayinka

Temi Olayinka

Hello there, my name is Temi Olayinka and I am of British-Nigerian heritage. I previously worked as an Education Mental Health Practitioner at the NHS, delivering low-intensity CBT and Parenting Programs for children and teenagers, between the ages of 5-25 years old, experiencing anxiety, low mood and challenging behaviour. I enjoy exploring restaurants around London, museums and going to live music shows.

Mireille Saleh

Mireille Saleh

Hi! My name is Mireille Saleh, and I am originally from Lebanon. I completed my undergraduate degree in Psychology. I then moved to the UK in 2019 to pursue my Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and Mental Health. I began my professional career as a Senior Mental Health Recovery Coordinator before starting my career as a Mental Health Intervention Officer here at Imperial. I enjoy playing tennis, travelling, and music.

Georgia Harvey

Georgia Harvey

Hello all, I am of British-Bajan heritage. I have previous experience in both the private and public sector, specialising in trauma, addictions, and young people’s mental health. Most recently, I worked as a Practitioner within the Single Point of Access NHS service focusing on supporting and de-escalating mental health crises. I value the importance of liaising with different colleagues and services to ensure a continuity of care and look forward to working with you all. I enjoy exercising and socialising with friends.

Tips for everyday living

When feeling low, anxious or stressed, we can sometimes overlook simple steps to improve our mental health and wellbeing.

The following links are useful videos and information, which provides you with advice on how to manage difficult times. Please note, that these links should not take precedence over you referring yourself to student support within Imperial.

  1. Top tips to improve your mental wellbeing - Every Mind Matters
  2. Student Mental Health Hub
  3. Struggling with mental health at university - BBC Stories

Who should I contact?

If you are unsure of whether you might want to contact our service, the three categories below may help you in making your decision

Contact content blocks


  • Sexual assault
  • Rape
  • Domestic violence
  • Stalking
  • Harassment and bullying
  • Hate crime

EMAIL: svlo@imperial.ac.uk or search visit the SVLO page

Make an anonymous report using Report + Support


  • Risk to self or others
  • Erratic or disruptive behaviour
  • Significant changes in behaviour
  • Suicidal ideation
  • Emotional distress
  • Reduced engagement with studies/isolation
  • Stress and Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Loneliness
  • Mental Health

EMAIL: concernedaboutastudent@imperial.ac.uk


  • Imminent danger
  • Suicidal intention
  • Possession of a weapon
  • Threats of violence or harm
  • Serious physical injury
  • Crime

DIAL: 999 for Emergency Services and inform College Security on 020 7589 1000 (from an external phone)

58900 from a college phone

4444 for emergency security