On this page:
  • Room requirements and adaptations
  • Applying to stay in halls of residence after your first year
  • Disability-related accommodation subsidy

Room requirements and adaptations

Living away from home can be a daunting prospect, especially if you have health concerns, a disability or need additional support. Imperial can provide support and make adjustments for you in college accommodation, as long as you let us know what your requirements are in advance.
If you have specific room requirements, for example, an ensuite room due to a disability or impairment or a fridge to store medication needed in relation to a medical condition, you will need to notify the accommodation team. The Medical, wellbeing and disability page has further information.  
If you have a complex condition which involves more extensive rooming requirements, for example, powered doors or a hoist, we recommend you also get in contact with the Disability Advisory Service, as early as possible. It will also be possible to arrange a visit to the College to inspect our accommodation.  

Applying to stay in halls of residence after your first year

If you are an undergraduate student who can show a disability-related reason for needing to stay in halls of residence after the first year of study, you have the opportunity to apply to stay in halls of residence for the next academic year.  
DAS advisors are only able to support applications from students who are currently supported by the service and with:
  • mobility or sensory impairments;
  • or those who are on the autistic spectrum.
All other students will need to obtain support from one of the Health Centre Doctors or Faculty Senior Tutors.  
Decisions are made by a panel in the spring/summer term and are based on the priority of need.  Please email the Disability Advisory Service if you would like to discuss having your application supported by us.

Disability-related accommodation subsidy

As part of our ongoing commitment to providing equality of access, the Disability Advisory Service offer an accommodation subsidy to all undergraduate students who require to live in South Kensington halls of residence. This includes Southside, Eastside and Beit Halls.
You may apply for this subsidy if:
  • you have an enduring health condition or disability, which make other Imperial Halls unsuitable;
  • are registered with the Disability Advisory Service or are in the process of doing so.
Applications will only be considered when accompanied by independent, relevant and up-to-date supporting evidence.  
We strongly advise that you register with the Imperial College Health Centre not only to obtain supporting evidence for your application but also in order to have access to NHS health care whilst you are studying at Imperial. 
The subsidy for the academic year 2021/22 will be £100 per week.
A panel will meet in early November 2021 to consider applications. Applicants will be notified of the panel's decision as soon as possible after the panel meets.
If you are moving into Halls in January 2022 or mid-way through the academic year, your application will be considered at a Panel meeting convened early in the new year.  
The subsidy is considered on an annual basis, which means you will have to reapply each academic year.
If your application is not successful you can appeal in writing to the Director of Student Services. Appeals should be made within 5 working days. Appeals can be submitted on the following grounds:
  • failure of the Panel to follow due process;
  • submission of additional information that was not originally available to the Panel. 

How to apply for the subsidy

If you would like to apply for the subsidy, please ensure you do the following:

Disability Related Accommodation Subsidy Links

1. Make an appointment

Make an appointment with the Disability Advisory Service and let us know that you wish to apply for the Disability-Related Accommodation Subsidy. 

2. Gather your evidence

This must be relevant and up-to-date evidence that specifically details why you must live on campus.

3. We will email you an online form to complete

Once you meet with an advisor, they will send you an email containing a link to the online application form. You must complete and submit the application form in order to be considered for the subsidy.