The College is committed to reducing waste and harnessing the benefits of its waste resources
Soft Services team (waste and recycling service)
Ian Davison, Waste and Recycling Manager
+44 (0) 7850 444772
Why reuse and recycle?
By reusing or recycling we are:
- Contributing to the conservation of natural resources.
- Saving energy.
- Helping to protect the environment.
- Reducing the amount of waste going to be incinerated or landfilled.
By law we must apply the waste hierarchy in all cases to try and reduce the amount of waste the College produces. The main principal of the applying the waste hierarchy is to extract the maximum practical benefits from products and to generate the minimum amount of waste. The College apply the following.
- To ensure that we reuse rather than recycle.
- To recycle rather than incinerate for energy recovery.
- To recover energy rather than just burn or send to landfill.
- To only landfill material that cannot be disposed of any other way.
By applying the principles of the waste hierarchy we will ensure that we do not waste valuable resources.
We will also reduce our impact on the environment by minimising the carbon emissions associated with both disposing of old products and obtaining new ones by promoting reuse wherever possible.
Waste Directory - Dispose of something now...
The explains your responsibilities, what facilities are in place and how to dispose of your resources. Please check this when disposing of waste to ensure what you are doing is correct.
- In 2020-21 we diverted a considerable amount of waste from landfill which is now being sent for energy recovery.
- Although this is an improvement it would be good to see more items being recycled or reused.
- Please give some thought to how you dispose of your waste to ensure that we continue to build on this success.