What is this datathon about?
The Institute for Molecular Science and Engineering (IMSE) and The Digital Molecular Design and Fabrication (DigiFab) Institute invites third- and fourth-year undergraduate students, postgraduate taught and research students, postdocs and early career researchers interested in the area of Data Science to participate in this free datathon. Entry requirement is low, existing knowledge in chemistry is not needed and fun is encouraged! Note the organisers will facilitate the formation of multidisciplinary teams.
Wednesday 27th April – Thursday 28th April 12.00-16.00
The event will be held online via gather.town.There is the option to book a space in the computer rooms in Blackett 320 and 321 if you would like to sit with your team whilst you work.
Places are limited, please REGISTER by the 15th April!
Datathon challenge: ‘Molecular Adsorption to Surfaces’
This is a challenge that is of great scientific importance, with research groups and industry world-wide working on solutions to this problem, including digital chemistry-based solutions.
Simple targets will be chosen for the day of the hackathon. Participants will work together in teams of four to five people and will be provided with this dataset. Note semi-cleaned data will be given to the teams so entry requirement is low and doable within the two half-day period. Excitingly, this datathon will be run using gather.town technology. Participants will receive instructions on how to join on the day with the chance to meet their teams before the event (please further details below).
What will happen on each day?
Wednesday 27th April
- 12:00–12:30 Welcome and introductions (full details about the challenge will be given)
- 12:30 – 13:30 Keynote speaker (tbc)
- 13:30 – 16:00 Datathon
Thursday 28th April
- 12:00-12:30 Welcome
- 12:30 – 13:30 Datathon
- 13:30 – 14:30 Break
- 14:30 – 16:00 Team presentations and awards
How do I participate?
1. Please register by the 15th April through Eventbrite. If participants wish to be in the same team, each individual must register indicating in the registration form whether they would like to be part of a specific team and provide the names of the other participants. Please note that there is a limit of 5 people per team. You can register with les people or as an individual if you wish
2. Participants will be contacted by the committee who will send further instructions and facilitate the formation of multidisciplinary team. Teams will be up to 5 people.
3. Teams will be able to meet each other before the actual Datathon, and become familiar with gather.town – Date to be announced soon
4. The Datathon will take place on Wednesday 27th April – Thursday 28th April 10.00-15.00 via gather.town
What can I win?
To be announced.
Check this webpage regularly for further updates! If you have any questions about how the day will run, please contact Leah Adamson (email@example.com)