The 3rd Stochastic Transport in Upper Ocean Dynamics (STUOD) Annual Workshop will be held at Imperial College London and online during 26th-29th September 2022.
“Stochastic Transport in Upper Ocean Dynamics” (STUOD) project is the highly prestigious ERC Synergy Grant, led by Imperial College London, National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Automatic Control (INRIA) and the French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea (IFREMER). The project aims to deliver new capabilities for assessing variability and uncertainty in upper ocean dynamics. It will provide decision makers a means of quantifying the effects of local patterns of sea level rise, heat uptake, carbon storage and change of oxygen content and pH in the ocean. Its multimodal monitoring will enhance the scientific understanding of marine debris transport, tracking of oil spills and accumulation of plastic in the sea.
In September 2022, STUOD is planning to focus on a range of fundamental topic areas, including:
1. observations at high resolution of upper ocean properties such as temperature, salinity, topography, wind, waves and velocity;
2. large scale numerical simulations;
3. data-based stochastic equations for upper ocean dynamics that quantify simulation error;
4. stochastic data assimilation to reduce uncertainty.
- Prof Darryl Holm (Imperial College of London),
- Prof Bertrand Chapron (Ifremer),
- Prof Dan Crisan (Imperial College of London),
- Prof Etienne Mémin (INRIA).
Programme and Format: This 4-day event will include individual presentations, snapshot presentations and demos. The speakers include leading mid-career and senior researchers as well as early-career researchers. This forum will yield opportunities for: investigators at an early stage of their career to have discussions with established scientist, fostering potential future research collaborations, networking as well as inclusion and training of the next generation of researchers.
The programme will be provided in due course.
Speakers’s slides are available below:
- Prof Bertrand Chapron (IFREMER)
- Prof Dan Crisan (ICL)
- Prof Darryl Holm (ICL)
- Prof Etienne Memin (INRIA)
Dr Oana Lang
Dr Wei Pan (ICL)
- Benjamin Dufee (INRIA)
- Daniel Goodair (ICL)
- Dr Long Li (INRIA)
- Dr Evgueny Dinvay (INRIA)
- Dr Prince Romeo Menash (ICL)
- Dr Paul Platzer (IFREMER)
- Dr Erwin Luesink (ICL)
- Stuart Patching (ICL)
- Dr Said Ouala (IMT)
- Dr Gilles Tissot (INRIA)
- Dr Noé Lahaye (INRIA)
- Dr Aurélien Ponte (IFREMER)
- Ruiao Hu (ICL)
- Oliver Street (ICL)
- Beranger Hug (INRIA)
- Francesco Tucciarone (INRIA)
- Dr Aurélien Ponte (IFREMER)
- Prof Ronan Fablet (IMT Atlantique)
Registration: To register for this event, please complete this form. Please make sure that an accurate email address is included so that you can receive further information on the event.
Workshop delivery: We are currently planning to deliver this workshop in person if it is safe to do so. However, please be assured we are also planning to utilise online modes of delivery if this is needed. We will continue to update you via email as we receive and respond to further Government guidance and as our plans develop.
Recordings: The recordings from the workshop will be available on the STUOD EU YouTube channel.