Humanities Project (Year 3 & 4)
Research a Humanities or Social Sciences project of your choice in a structured and innovative way
- Offered to 3rd & 4th Years
- Independent Project
- 2 term module worth 5 ECTS
- Available to eligible students as part of I-Explore
- Extra Credit or Degree Credit where your department allows
On successful completion of this module you will be able to:
- Formulate a research proposal
- Draw together ideas from relevant subjects by producing a literature review
- Organise a research plan for discussion with supervisor
- Integrate concepts using self-directed primary and secondary research
- Complete a writing plan for agreement with supervisor
- Apply key concepts, research, and feedback to write an analytical humanities project
Indicative core content
Learning and teaching approach
You have a choice of final project assessment:
- Coursework: Essay - 3,000-4,000 words (100%)
- Coursework: Creative work submission - variable length depending on media (65%)
- Coursework: Essay - up to 2,000 words (35%)
The latter is generally more suitable for subjects with a creative component such as art or music.
- Requirements: You are expected to attend all classes and undertake approximately 85 hours of independent study in total during the module. Independent study includes reading and preparation for classes, researching and writing coursework assignments and preparing for other assessments.
- This module is designed as an undergraduate Level 6 module. For an explanation of levels, view the Imperial Horizons Level Descriptors page.
"I have really been enjoying my project and have learnt a huge amount too. My supervisor has been able to provide a lot of time and support and is genuinely interested in the project, for which I am really grateful!"
" [My supervisor] has been really supportive and maintained a lot of interest in the project, helping with research and lending equipment, as well as giving a lot of valuable feedback in person during one-to-one meetings. He has also been really friendly, which has helped us develop a good and open working relationship that has really benefitted the project. Thank you!"