Year in Europe
Year in Europe Language Classes
If you would like to spend a year abroad as part of your degree programme, you have lots of options.
You may click on the following link for a full list of degrees offered at Imperial College: Undergraduate Degree courses information ; a list of current exchange partners is also available: Exchange Partners
In preparation for your stay abroad we offer classes in French, German, Spanish and Italian.
If you have any questions about joining the Year in Europe /Year Abroad scheme in general, you should contact your departmental exchange co-ordinator. If you have any language -related queries, please contact the relevant Language coordinator .
- Develop further all the basic language skills, i.e. reading, writing, listening and speaking, with a science, technology and engineering focus
- Apply more complex grammatical structures to specific genres
- Apply and extend vocabulary
- Introduce and use scientific and technical terminology
- Provide insights into university uge and culture in the host countries
- Prepare students for residence abroad
To be able to join, you need to have done one of the following:
If you intend to go abroad in your third year of study:
- Gained a GCSE Qualification in the relevant language (French, German or Spanish)
- Already achieved A1+ or equivalent on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)
- Courses are one hour per week over two terms (Autumn & Spring term) and must be taken in addition to the two hours taught as part of Imperial Horizons Programme.
- Attendance at this extra hour and completion of any preparation work allocated will be essential to achieve the proficiency required for a stay abroad beyond the scope of the general language class.