Undaunted builds a bridge from the experimentation and discovery stage of climate technology, nurturing innovation until it is ready to be scaled up.
Undaunted is an initiative that encompasses the climate innovation activity of Imperial's Grantham Institute - Climate Change and the Environment, in partnership with the Royal Institution. Our suite of programmes is designed to foster a thriving innovation ecosystem, and aims to make London and the UK a great place to start and scale intelligent, sustainable solutions to the climate challenge at pace.
One of our flagship activities is The Greenhouse - Europe's leading climate innovation accelerator programme, which supports the growth of young, sustainable businesses looking to tackle climate change. When startups join Undaunted, they become part of a thriving environment that is designed to grow ideas into impact, where they can experiment, test and refine their ideas; work with experts in the fields of climate science, engineering and entrepreneurship; and plug into cutting edge research developments. This setting is unique to Undaunted and strengthens the science behind startups’ solutions, setting them up for future success.
With close to 150 successful climate businesses graduating from Undaunted to date, we are creating the blueprint for a successful climate innovation ecosystem, building a bridge from the experimentation and discovery stage of climate technology, nurturing innovation until it is ready to be scaled up. Meet some of our alumni here.
The Greenhouse internship
We currently have an excellent internship opportunity to work within The Greenhouse team in a role that will also give the post holder an insight into the rest of the Undaunted organisation. We are interested in a candidate who's passionate about climate innovation. The candidate will gain an overview of how Undaunted supports cleantech startups and will get an insight into developing technologies in the field of climate and sustainability focused innovation. The internship will be guided and supported by the Greenhouse team.
This is a part-time internship opportunity, 3 days per week (24hrs/week) between February and July 2024.
This is paid internship with hourly rates in accordance with imperial College London’s payscale for casual workers, dependent on qualifications.
Please note, The Greenhouse is currently in a hybrid working phase, and the Intern will be asked to be present in the office in London (Mayfair, White City or South Kensington) for 1-2 days a week. Working hours can be flexible, but note normal hours of work are 9.00am – 5.00pm. Additional hours may be required during events.
Job description and key responsibilities
- Work closely with the Programme Manager to support climate innovation start-ups, experts and stakeholders to ensure the smooth operation of the Greenhouse (eg. Organise the scheduling and booking of events and communication with the stakeholders)
- Supporting, planning and organizing skills development workshops for the Greenhouse start-ups
- Support the planning and delivery of events and ensure smooth running on the day
- Support the Programme Manager and Head of the Greenhouse in research activities
- Attending meetings, shadowing senior members of staff to gain an understanding of their roles and the overall sector
- Take a proactive role in shaping the internship programme to suit the candidate’s interests and the needs of the organisation
- Supporting the Greenhouse Team on the update and maintenance of the CRM and other database (training will be provided)
- A real team player
- Good interpersonal skills
- The ability to self-manage, with good organisational and planning skills
- Interest in the Climate innovation ecosystem
- Good time management skills
- Good attention to detail
- Self-motivated and a drive to continuously expand personal and professional knowledge
- Proficiency in MS Office products (Excel, PowerPoint and Word)
- Able to work and deliver outputs to deadlines
The application should include a short up to date CV and a short application covering letter. The latter should clearly set out your relevant knowledge and experience in the area for which you are applying, and your motivation and interest in supporting climate innovation.
Application to be submitted by email to:
- Jim Shaikh, Head of the Greenhouse: email@example.com
- Nicole Bachanova, The Greenhouse Programme Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected applicants will be invited to a 20-minute interview with the Greenhouse team.
Deadline: 29 January 2024
Got a question? Contact the team at email@example.com.
Sign up to the Undaunted newsletter to stay in-the-loop on our news and opportunities.
Article text (excluding photos or graphics) © Imperial College London.
Photos and graphics subject to third party copyright used with permission or © Imperial College London.