The Department of Physics at Imperial is one of the world’s most successful in terms of research output and research income. We are also one of the largest Physics Departments in the UK and in Europe, which enables us to create groups of international standing and intellectual calibre.
What makes us stand out?
- Our internationalised environment, which help us contribute significantly to the national and global research agendas
- A vast research portfolio, which covers the full range of theoretical and experimental physics and allows us to respond rapidly to opportunities and initiatives
As a Department, we aim to:
- Inspire future world-class scientists in fundamental theory and experimentation
- Facilitate large international collaborations and projects
- Apply newly acquired knowledge to advanced technology
- Develop specialist infrastructure and facilities
Our research activities are organised around four research themes, which comprise researchers from different groups who work in symbiosis with one another thanks to invaluable inter-lab collaborations.