Preparing for an interview is vital if you want to succeed in securing a new position, and having a mock interview can be an important component of your preparation.
Congratulations you’ve been shortlisted - To book a mock interview
In addition to a mock interview with the PFDC, it is recommended that you arrange a technical mock interview within your department if you would like to focus on the technical aspects of your application.
If you are invited for a remote interview using an online video platform, please check our top tips for virtual Interviews.
Become a mock interview panellist
To experience being on an interview panel and have the opportunity to experience ‘the other side of the table’, volunteer to be a panel member on our mock interviews by contacting email@example.com.
The Postdoc and Fellows Development Centre will arrange mock interviews for postdocs, fellows or clinicians who have been shortlisted for fellowships, academic positions and positions outside of higher education. We organise rooms, coordinate the availability of panel members, sit on the panel ourselves, choose appropriate questions, and provide feedback to the interviewee.
Having a mock interview was mentioned as being a highly valuable experience by many who have undertaken them through the Postdoc and Fellows Development Centre.
Why take part in PFDC Mock Interviews?
The Candidate - at the end of the mock the candidate will be better able to:
- Deliver their interview presentation
- Answer interview questions
- Recognise areas for improvements in presenting and answering questions through feedback from the panel
- Apply the feedback received in the next mock or real interview
A Panellist - the panellists will actively participate in the mock interview. This will enable them to be better able to:
- Gain/improve awareness of the types of questions that are asked at i.e. an academic interview
- Evaluate the common mistakes made in answering interview questions
- Assess solutions to improve in answering interview questions
- Self-assess their own interview skills to identify how to improve
- Practice: how to give constructive feedback for the candidate
Don’t have time for a mock interview? Want additional resources?
- See the PFDC Publication - “Preparing for your fellowship interview” and “Preparing for a Job Interview”
- See the Medical Research Council videos on “What the panel’s really thinking”, and “Interview day: what’s it like to face a fellowship panel?”