Links to ICREC and SETREC
The majority of the projects reviewed by the Research Ethics Committees are ususally hosted in the UK a few are hosted abroad. The Principal Investigator must always be employed by Imperial College London. Low-level projects without high risks can be reviewed by the RGI team, any high-risk projects must be reviewed by full Committee these include but are not limited to:
- Research which is invasive
- Research where the subject matter is sensitive
- Research which includes prisoners and young offenders
- Research which involves individuals in an overtly dependent situation (people in care)
- Research which takes place overseas, these may also require local ethical approval (local approval is necessary but not sufficient on its own)
- Research which involves vulnerable groups; children or adults who are unable to consent, the mentally ill and individuals with learning difficulties
The research ethics risk checklist [Word] will help determine whether your study is considered low risk (eligible for fast track approval) or high risk (for full committee review).
Find out more about our two key committees:
Student Representatives Needed
Imperial College Research Ethics Committee (ICREC) and Science, Engineering and Technology Research Ethics Committee (SETREC)
Imperial College London would like to recruit a Post Graduate Student Representative for their ethics committees. ICREC focuses on health-related projects and SETREC focuses on non-health related projects.
A key aim of the Committees is to enable Imperial College to maintain the highest ethical standards in all research relating to human participants.
If you are interested in joining a Committee, please send a short letter outlining relevant experience and suitability and an up to date copy of your CV to the Ethics and Research Governance Coordinator in the Research Governance and Integrity Team firstname.lastname@example.org
No experience necessary.
More information can be found at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-ethics-committee/committees/