Air Pollution Modelling
We use computer models to predict the health impacts of people’s exposure to air pollution now and in the future. We also test policies to reduce air pollution health impacts and to comply with air pollution standards.
We use a range of models to predict air pollution over very large areas, such as for the whole of Europe, and link these to models that can predict air pollution close to where people live and even from local roads. Working with other researchers we use these models to study the link between air pollution exposure and ill health in young people, the old and others that are vulnerable.
We are also interested in how people are exposed to air pollution during their daily lives and have developed models to predict exposure indoors and outdoors, at home, in the office and whilst travelling by car, bus, train and tube; as well as walking and cycling.
We have worked closely with London policy makers to implement major changes to the city, from the London Congestion Charging Zone to the recent London Ultra Low Emissions Zone and are currently researching the possible benefits to air pollution of the UK’s Net Zero climate change policies.
Recent or ongoing research projects
- The air quality health and economic costs and benefits of a zero carbon UK
- Public Health Impacts of UK's Clean Air Zones
- WELLHome - West London Health Home and Environment study
- DREaM: Component-Specific Air pollutant Drivers of Disease Risk in Early to Midlife: a pathway approach
- APEx: An Air Pollution Exposure model to integrate protection of vulnerable groups into the UK Clean Air Programme
- DUKEMS: Developing a UK Community Emissions Modelling System
- Pathways to equitable healthy cities
- Cognitive DeveLopment in the Urban Environment (The CLUE study)
- iSTEMM Module lectures and workshops for PUBH6001: “Creating evidence-based solutions to environmental pollution and health”
- Health Impact Assessment workshop on Master of Public Health and MSc in Epidemiology
- Supervision of projects on MSc in Environmental Technology and Master of Public Health
Reader in Atmospheric Modelling
Senior Air Quality Scientist