Writing a Research Paper (WaRP)
Registration for the Autumn term 2022 is closed
This 8-week course (approximately 3 hours per week) is for those who have a high level of language proficiency and are at the stage of writing papers for publication. It specifically focuses on training you to use research articles in your own field as input to create effective writing models and identify relevant language features and writing conventions. The training will develop your ability to write professional research articles in your own field. In addition to this training, you can register for our 1:1 consultations to focus on a research article you are writing.
If you're not currently at the stage of writing a paper and if your priority is practising and improving your academic STEMM writing in general, we recommend you take our Advanced Academic Writing course.
- If you are a 1st-year doctoral student scoring level 4 on DACR A1 (or level 3 or level 4 on DACR A2), we would recommend you complete Advanced Academic Writing before registering for Writing a Research Paper.
- If you have received an email confirming exemption from the Requirement, you are eligible for this course.
Please note that registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please note that you can only take 1 writing course per term. This is so that we can enable as many people as possible to join a course.
- Each week there will be a remote session, which provides the input to prepare you for the scheduled live session. The remote session is not timetabled, but you are expected to spend at least 45 minutes on the activities.
- The group will then meet for a 90-minute live session to check that everyone has understood the input and to apply what you've learned through a series of collaborative activities.
- Every week, you will also have follow-up activities (often a writing assignment), which should take about 45 minutes.