Networks and Communications

Module aims

In this module you will have the opportunity to:

  • Study the principles of computer networking
  • Analyse and discuss the OSI & TCP/IP models
  • Demonstrate how a network is designed based on specific requirements
  • Familiarise yourself with the basic principles of computer security   

Learning outcomes

Upon successful completion of this module, you should be able to:

  • define and classify the major concepts of Computer Networking
  • design a computer network based on given requirements
  • calculate important network metrics
  • identify and analyse potential security risks   

Module syllabus

  • Introduction to Networking Concepts
  • The Application/Presentation/Session Layer
  • The Transport Layer
  • Network Security
  • Practical Applications
  • The Network Layer
  • The Data Link Layer
  • The Physical Layer
  • Client/Server Programming
  • Future Directions       

Teaching methods

The lectures will follow a Q&A approach, with the help of tools such as Mentimeter, which will allow you to participate actively during the classroom sessions. The module is backed up with unassessed, formative exercises, where you get to test your understanding of the material as it is taught.

One entire week is dedicated to practical applications of networking, with a "Bring Your Own Device" (BYOD) lab that takes place in-class, as well as an impromptu team exercise. You will also be given a variety of external resources, in addition to the official reading list, which will give you the opportunity to expand your knowledge beyond the core material taught.

An online service will be used as a discussion forum for the module. 


There will be one coursework that contributes 15% of the mark for the module, plus a final written exam that contributes the remaining 85% of the marks.               
Part of the feedback comes from the in-class discussions and mentimeter Q&A. You will also receive electronic feedback on your coursework submission, approximately two weeks after submission.       

Reading list

Module leaders

Dr Konstantinos Gkoutzis