Hands-on NMR Spectroscopy for Metabolic Profiling
24 - 28 April 2023
- Duration: 5 days
- Venue: Hammersmith campus
FULL COURSE (Lectures/ Workshops/ Lab-based Practicals)
- Earlybird: £1750 until 29 March 2023
- Standard: £1950 after 29 March 2023
Lectures/ Workshops (No Lab-based Practicals)
- Earlybird: £900 until 29 March 2023
- Standard: £1100 after 29 March 2023
BURSARIES: MRC funded bursaries are available for this course to cover the full early bird fee. Bursaries will be prioritised to attendees who are:
- MRC funded,
- a current PhD student or postdoc,
- who currently apply metabolomics in clinical/toxicology/medical/informatics settings
The deadline for applying is Tuesday 4 April 2023 (12.00 MIdnight BST).
Please contact Kathryn Gresty to apply.
Connect NMR UK offers Travel fellowships for this course. Please contact Connect NMR UK directly for info and to apply.
This week-long course will describe from both theoretical and practical point of views, how to carry on an NMR based metabolic profiling project. It will cover study design, sample preparation, NMR spectrometer set up, quality control, data analysis, and metabolite identification.
Each day focuses on one of the aspects of metabolic profiling and it also includes a case study to help you think of pros and cons of potential projects and aspects to consider when applying for funding.
Please note: This course will take place in person on our Hammersmith campus and the number of participants is limited to ensure maximum interaction with lecturers and trainers.
- To understand the basic theory of NMR spectroscopy
- To familiarise yourself with some multivariate statistical concepts such as PCA and OPLS.
- To design an NMR based metabolic profiling project.
- To practice how to prepare biofluid samples for NMR analysis.
- To set-up an NMR spectrometer for the analysis of biofluid samples.
- To interpret NMR spectra and use it for metabolite identification.
- To process NMR spectra for its used in MVA statistical analisis.
- To distinguish between targeted and untargeted analysis
Learning and teaching methods:
The course consists of:
- Lectures covering theoretical aspects of NMR spectroscopy, statistical analysis and metabolic profiling.
- Hands-on practical sessions including wet lab, spectrometer operation and dataset analysis.
- Discussion sessions and Tips & Tricks
- Case Study.
We provide here a unique experience for people who are interested on NMR-based metabolic profiling projects but still don’t fill comfortable enough to run them on their one. We have reduce number of attendees to ensure maximum interaction among them and with the lecturers/instructors, to learn not only theory but useful experience insights. The course is highly interactive and divers with a combination of lectures, lab and computer based practices and Q&A and discussion opportunities. On completion of this course, participants should be able to design their own metabolic profiling experiments. They should be able to set up the appropriate instrumentation and assays to answer their specific analytical and biological questions. They will have gained sufficient knowledge in data analysis of metabolic profiling data in order to process their NMR data and perform the statistics that will help them answer their biological questions.
Who should attend?
Our course is designed for researchers working either in academia, research centres or industry and who have started or would like to use metabolic profiling in their future projects. It will be particularly useful to:
- Ph.D. students interested on learning best lab practice to apply to their own projects.
- Researchers looking at expanding their capabilities for the use of NMR in the context of metabolic profiling.
- Clinicians interested in applying metabolomics to their clinical studies.
All participants will be awarded an Imperial College London Certificate of Attendance on completion of the course.
Comments from past participants
I have to admit that the course gave me a huge opportunity to develop my NMR skills. "
Thanks to the experience I gained being in London, I now work on a new project concerning metabolic profiling. "
My mind is blown away by how amazing this course is and I wish I'd known and done this earlier!"