6 May - 17 May 2024 (Online)
Live online sessions: 10 & 17 May 2024
- Duration: 2 weeks
- Live online sessions:
- 10 May 2024: 9.00 - 10.00am
- 17 May 2024: 9.00 - 10.30am
- Venue: Online
- Contact us
This two-week short course will help you to understand the importance of good paediatric sleep health. Along with an overview of common sleep problems, you will discuss the consequences of poor sleep. Sleep investigations and management strategies will be introduced.
Topics covered will include:
- Sleep physiology in health and disease
- Developmental changes in sleep with age
- Sleep-related pathology & risk factors
- Subjective and objective assessments of sleep health
- Introduction to therapeutic interventions (medical and surgical)
The course is part of a range of short courses spread throughout the academic year which are available both to students who are enrolled on the MSc Applied Paediatrics course and as stand-alone CPD accredited programmes for all healthcare professionals.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Consider critically the value of normal sleep across childhood and contrast this with the damage caused by common respiratory and non-respiratory sleep problems
- Propose an investigation and management strategy for a paediatric sleep problem
Course structure & delivery
The course runs online over 2 consecutive weeks, and you are expected to conduct approximately 7 to 10 hours of self-directed study per week, depending on your pace of learning. This consists of weekly directed tasks that you can undertake at your own pace and timing such as watching recorded lectures, assigned reading articles or reflection and forum work but also may consist of group work online.
There are also two (one per week) synchronous (live) online sessions delivered by Teams or Zoom, usually towards the end of the week of maximum 90 minutes duration to discuss ideas, present group, and individual work and to facilitate further learning.
Evidence of sufficient participation will be required to obtain a course certificate.
Live online sessions
The course consists of several synchronous sessions on a video-conferencing platform: - times tbc:
- Friday, 10 May 2024: 9.00 - 10.00am
- Friday, 17 May 2024: 9.00 - 10.30am
A full timetable and access to course materials will be made available to registered participants prior to the start of the course.
Who should attend?
This course will benefit paediatricians, GPs, nurses, therapists, and other healthcare professionals involved in Child Health.
As the course is a multi-professional programme, students will develop an understanding of how their own individual behaviours, and those of the teams within which they work, can have a significant influence on the quality of care delivered.