On this page:
  • What do I need to know and do?
  • Imperial websites to check out
  • Information for students on the autistic spectrum
If you have been offered a place at Imperial, there are a few things to know and do before arriving to ensure you have the easiest transition to higher education as possible.

What do I need to know and do?


You can disclose on your UCAS application, student record or directly to us via email. To ensure reasonable adjustments can be made for you, we advise you to get in touch sooner rather than later.


Having up-to-date and relevant evidence will ensure we can put in place any support or adjustments you may need smoothly and quickly.

Make an appointment

We recommend students with complex conditions meet with us during the summer to discuss adjustments and support.  Every Tuesday, from week commencing 12 June 2023, you will have the opportunity to speak to a disability advisor.  On these Tuesdays, an online form will switch on, where you will provide your contact details.  One of our team will call you back on the day. 

If you feel you don't need to speak to our team during the summer, we strongly recommend you make an appointment with our team once you've enrolled. 

Adjustments and support

Have a look at the adjustments and support we may be able to offer you. You will have a better understanding of what these are if they are discussed during your appointment.  

Apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

You may be eligible for extra funding through student finance. Visit the government's DSA website for further information.  We also have guides on the application process on our Adjustments and support page.  

Plan your parking

It gets very busy during Welcome Season. Try and park as close to your Halls of Residence as possible. If you are a blue badge holder, it is possible you may be able to reserve a parking space on campus. Can I use the car park page has further information.  

Arrange accommodation

Imperial will send firm offer holders the accommodation application form during the summer. Please ensure you disclose any specific rooming requirements you may need on your accommodation application. If you are likely to need your room adapting, for example, a fridge to store medication or a hoist, please make an appointment with the Disability Advisory Service during the summer.  

Know who your departmental disability officer is

Departmental disability officers are the first point of contact within your department. They will ensure the agreed adjustments are implemented.  Making yourself known to them will ensure that there's someone in your academic department who is familiar with your needs and can deal with any problems that might arise in having them fully provided for.  

Register with Imperial College Health Centre

Imperial has a Health Centre located on South Kensington Campus. Registering with them will ensure that there's a local medical professional who knows about your needs and make recommendations to us for any support they may think appropriate. 

Information for students on the autistic spectrum

We offer a two-day transition event for students starting in September. This happens just before Welcome Season. If you disclose an autistic spectrum condition on your UCAS application, an invite will be sent to you during the summer.   
The benefits of the transition event are:
  • you get to move in early;
  • you will be introduced to the various support teams available and meet staff members;
  • quieter time to adjust to your new environment;
  • you get to meet other autistic students who are starting at Imperial.