IMPACT development programme
IMPACT stands for Imperial Positive About Cultural Talent. It is a talent development programme for staff who identify as being from a minority ethnic group.
IMPACT helps staff who wish to further their careers by developing and fine-tuning both new and existing skills and talents. IMPACT delegates utilise their different cultural approaches and set themselves SMART career objectives. Key elements of IMPACT are the endorsement of senior leaders, multicultural awareness, and the involvement of managers.
The programme attempts to address some of the issues faced by some minority ethnic staff. Statistics show that the majority of minority ethnic staff occupy lower-level positions despite possessing qualifications and skillsets equivalent to those of none minority origin. IMPACT helps individuals to take responsibility for their own careers and develop strategies to overcome barriers that they may face.
- The programme consists of seven workshops, individual one-to-one sessions, and Action Learning Sets, spread over several months.
- The programme has been developed and is delivered by Imperial's EDI Centre.
- There is no charge for Imperial staff.
- For 2023, all workshops will take place online using Zoom (unless communicated otherwise).
IMPACT for Managers
Alongside IMPACT, we run a programme called IMPACT for Managers. The aim is to build contemporary managerial knowledge, and a toolkit of techniques for embedding race-inclusion into everyday management practices.
If you successfully apply for the IMPACT development programme, we will invite your manager to take part in IMPACT for Managers. The sessions for the two programmes are separate - you will not attend any workshops with your manager.
Please discuss this with your line manager before you apply, although you can be assured that it will not affect the outcome of your application if your manager is unable to attend.
Apply for IMPACT
Applications for IMPACT 2023 are now closed.
If you are interested in the programme or have any questions, please contact the EDI Centre.
More information and FAQs
Benefits of IMPACT
- Increased confidence
- Raised career aspirations
- Improved cultural competence
- 1-2-1 Mentoring
- Able to demonstrate leadership abilities through projects
- Strategies and support to enhance your careers
- Networking opportunities with other Imperial staff
- Support and reviews to help you achieve your career objectives
- increased awareness of your personal strengths and confidence in your abilities
- Improved preparation for internal progression or promotion
Dates for the next IMPACT programme
|Workshop 1 – What is IMPACT? | Culture and intersectionality | Initial goal setting||28 June 2023|
|Workshop 2 – Leadership vs management | Cultural leadership||12 July 2023|
|Workshop 3 – Overcoming personal barriers | Imposter Syndrome||19 July 2023|
|Workshop 4 (Away Day) – Career pathways||26 July 2023|
|Workshop 5 – Assertive communication||2 August 2023|
|Workshop 6 – Presentation skills||9 August 2023|
|Workshop 7 - Leadership communication skills and practising difficult conversations with Dramatic Improvement||30 August 2023|
|Graduation preparation session||6 September 2023|
|IMPACT graduation||13 September 2023|
How much does IMPACT cost?
For internal delegates (Imperial College London employees) IMPACT is free to attend.
We do accept external delegates on IMPACT, at a cost of £1,750.
For any queries from external delegates and about costs, please email the EDI Centre.
Those enrolling on Calibre are expected to attend all the sessions of the programme.
If you cannot attend any session of the programme, you must email the EDI Centre as soon as possible.
Cancellation fees do apply:
- If a cancellation is made less than ten working days before the programme start date, a cancellation fee of £100 will be levied.
- If you miss one session as a delegate, a £50 charge will be levied, but you can stay on the course and complete the other sessions.
- If you miss more than one session, a £150 charge will be levied. You will be taken off the programme, and will have to re-enrol next year unless agreed with the course organiser.
Cancellation fees do not apply in cases of extenuating circumstances.