Mental health and race in the workplace
6 December 2023, 10.00-13.00 (online)
27 February 2024, 10.00-13.00 (face-to-face)
15 May 2024, 10.00-13.00 (online)
This course will build your awareness and understanding of the disparities experienced by people from minority ethnic backgrounds.
The course examines the intersectionality of race, different cultures, and mental health, to develop an understanding and awareness of different experiences and perspectives in order to help you support colleagues from minority ethnic backgrounds with their mental health.
What is covered in this course?
- How racism and feelings of exclusion, especially in the workplace, impacts on mental health
- Identifying the unique factors which impact on the mental health of people from a minority ethnic background, such as cultural differences and experiences of racism
- How the experiences of different minority ethnic people will differ depending on their culture, experiences, family and society
- A framework, and the opportunity to practice skills, for having confident conversations about mental health
- How to be a supportive ally, through facts and evidence-based information
- Useful resources and support pathways
- A reminder and refresher on supporting your own mental health and wellbeing when supporting others
Who should attend?
This course is open to all staff members.
- Half day training course - 3 hours
- Facilitated by external trainer: City Mental Health Alliance
- No charge for Imperial staff
- For the online version, the course is delivered via Zoom
Netiquette for online training
- It is important that you are fully present and an active participant, to create a safe space for sharing and discussion.
- For some of our training, you will be required to keep your video cameras on. Please ensure prior to attending that you have a fully functioning camera and microphone. If you have any issues with your equipment, please contact us as soon as possible. If you require your camera to be off as a workplace adjustment, please let us know in advance so that we can makethe trainer aware.
- Please ensure that you are in a private space where you can maintain confidentiality and the privacy of the other delegates.
- To maintain confidentiality, all delegates are asked to agree to keep what is said within the group, and not record or take screenshots/photos without permission. Pictures or quotes from the session should not be posted on social media or elsewhere without the express permission of those involved.