This information relates to the risks that Estates Operations is directly responsible for monitoring and managing.
What are the risks?
Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) are present in some building structures and plant within the College estate.
|Legionnaires disease is a potentially fatal illness caused by the inhalation of very small water droplets or aerosols which contain Legionella bacteria.|
Imperial College London premises, in common with similar universities, contains a range of asbestos based products which can present a risk if not managed properly.
The College will take appropriate action to ensure the Health and Safety of staff, students and visitors who may be affected by the risks associated with Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) present in some building structures and plant within the College estate.
The College has delegated its duties under the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 to the Director of Estates Operations who has implemented a management system ensuring that an Asbestos Management Plan (pdf) (AMP) is in place and reviewed annually. The current version is dated October 2019.
Asbestos management policy
- Prevent exposure to the hazards associated with asbestos.
- Promote awareness of the AMP and the hazards of asbestos, through training and induction of staff and those working on behalf of the College.
- Hold regular meetings with key groups to increase awareness of asbestos issues.
- Provide and maintain an Asbestos Register.
- Provide information and advice on asbestos issues.
- Develop, implement and review an effective management strategy so that appropriate measures, such as sealing, labelling, inspection or removal of ACMs are undertaken. The majority of our known ACMs have asbestos warning signage, the exceptions are low risk materials such as floor tiles, window cills and roofing materials.
- Regularly review the Asbestos Management Plan.
The Asbestos Register is regularly updated but will not provide sufficient information for Project Managers when building works, or even routine projects such as redecoration, are to be carried out. Project Managers should always ask for project-specific asbestos information from the Asbestos Manager. This should be requested at an early stage in the project's timeframe to allow sufficient checks to be made and reports to be issued.
Authorised users will soon be able to directly access the College’s Asbestos Register information within the Estates shared drive. Users will need to complete a short training session before access is available. Further information will follow in due course.
The Asbestos Manager can be contacted via the Estates Operations Customer Services Centre.
Legionnaires disease is a potentially fatal illness caused by the inhalation of very small water droplets or aerosol which contains Legionella bacteria.
The College will take all reasonable precautions to ensure that its staff, students, contractors and visitors are not exposed to airborne Legionella bacteria from building services hot, cold or cooling water systems while on its premises.
Read the College's Legionella Policy and Procedures (pdf) (April 2018).
Covid-19 procedure for flushing outlet v.2 (doc) (May 2020).