Need to dash to other campuses?
College members can catch the free Imperial campus shuttle bus.
Updates to service (COVID-19)
The shuttle bus service will resume operation from 12 October.
We've implemented several changes to ensure we can operate a safe service.
- Buses will have reduced capacity to maintain social distancing.
- All journeys must be pre-booked by your academic representative.
- We are unable to allow walk-on passengers.
- Masks must be worn at all times.
- Using the service to commute from your residence to campus is strictly prohibited.
Imperial Shuttle Bus
A shuttle bus service is available for Imperial campus staff, teaching assistants and PHD students providing free transport between the South Kensington, White City and Hammersmith campuses on weekdays, in line with their teaching and research duties. Each coach offers free WiFi available on board.
Please note: this is not a commuter service. Members of the Imperial community who live locally will need to use public transport to travel to campus.
South Kensington: Outside the Central Library on Imperial College Road - see Map of South Kensington Campus
White City: At the White City North car park - see Maps of White City campus and its vicinity
Hammersmith: Outside the Burlington Danes Building - see Map of Hammersmith Campus
Travel timings are approximate. Although drivers do their best to adhere to published timetables, London traffic is frequently subject to delays and disruption, your understanding will be appreciated.
Who can travel: Due to the need to reduce capacity in order to maintain social distancing, we will only be able to allow passengers who have been nominted by their departmental representative the opportunity to reserve a seat so they are able to carry out their work which spans multiple campuses. The service cannot be used by those travelling from their residence to or from campus.
Booking my journey: Pre-booking your journey is essential. To pre-book, please complete a request here no later than 15.00 on the working day prior to your travel. (i.e. bookings for Monday travel, must be submitted no later than 15.00 on the previous Friday.)
Along with confirmation of your reservation, you will need to show valid College ID when boarding the shuttle bus.
All measures introduced due to COVID-19 will be regularly reviewed and updated when guidance allows.
Shuttle Bus timetable - 2020/21
|When does it run?||South Kensington departure time||White City departure |
|Hammersmith arrival time|
|Term time only||08.15||08.45||08.50|
|Term time and vacation||09.15||09.45||09.50|
|Term time only||10.15||10.45||10.50|
|Term time and vacation||11.15||11.45||11.50|
|Term time only||12.15||12.45||12.50|
|Term time and vacation||13.15||13.45||13.50|
|Term time only||14.15||14.45||14.50|
|Term time and vacation||15.15||15.45||15.50|
|Term time only||16.15||16.45||16.50|
|Term time and vacation||17.15||17.45 (arrives)||_|
|Term time only||17.35||18.05 (arrives)||_|
|When does it run?||Hammersmith departure time||White City departure time||South Kensington arrival time|
|Term time and vacation||08.00||08.10||08.35|
|Term time only||08.55||09.05||09.30|
|Term time and vacation||10.00||10.10||10.35|
|Term time only||10.55||11.05||11.30|
|Term time and vacation||12.00||12.10||12.35|
|Term time only||12.55||13.05||13.30|
|Term time and vacation||14.00||14.10||14.35|
|Term time only||14.55||15.05||15.30|
|Term time and vacation||16.00||16.10||16.35|
|Term time only||16.55||17.05||17.30|
|Term time and vacation||–||17.55||18.20|
Shuttle Bus FAQs
I am a resident at GradPad / the local area - Why can't I use the shuttle bus to travel to campus?
Why do I need to pre-book?
Due to reduced capacity and to ensure we can track and trace our passengers, pre-booking your journey on the shuttle bus is essential.
Conditions of Travel
Conditions of Travel
- All passengers must have a valid student or staff College ID card in order to travel on the shuttle bus service.
- Seats are available on a first-come first-served basis; the seating capacity cannot be exceeded.
- No standing.
- On some services a number of seats will be taken by a pre booking agreement with Head of Department. Please do not use these seats until the driver makes them available.
- Chemistry TA’s must make themselves known to the driver as soon as possible and must present their Priority Pass stamped by the Head of Department to the driver.
- The driver is responsible for the safety of the vehicle. Do not talk to or distract the driver whilst the vehicle is in motion.
- There is a no-smoking policy on all College and Commonwealth Coaches vehicles.
- The services will only terminate at South Kensington and Hammersmith, passengers will be asked to leave the vehicle at these points.
- Passengers are not allowed to remain on the vehicle without a driver being present.
- Dropping off points and pick up points are at the designated bus stops only (see above).
- The consumption of food and alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- Please do not litter. Notices or flyers and display posters are not allowed on the coaches.
- Do not play loud music - please use headphones and show consideration for other passengers
- The service being offered is a passenger carrying service only, however transportation of chemistry and biological substances category B samples must comply with the 'Transport of Samples on the College Shuttle Bus' guidance.
Examples of what can be carried in the coach cabin
- small rucksuck
- small sports bag
- small sports holdall
- brief cases
- tennis rackets placed in the overhead areas
- hockey sticks placed in the overhead areas
- a small case that can sit on your lap
Items that must not be put into the coach cabin
These types of items, goods or equipment are not permitted on the coaches, such items can be sent in the internal mail via the post room or couriers.
- PCs and TV monitors
- building materials and tools
- office materials e.g. boxes of paper
- fold-up bikes
- bags of shopping
- boxes of food and drink
- large musical instruments*
- glass objects
*The driver may allow suitcases and muscial istruments to be placed in the luggage compartments of the coach but this is at the Driver's discretion and whether the journey time allows for loading and unloading of these items. All items going in the luggage hold are left at the owner's risk.