The Physics Department set up the LGBT+ committee in the 2018-19 academic year to promote visibility, equality, and diversity within the department.
The committee meets on a termly basis and in these meetings, the Wellbeing Representatives from each academic year raise the issues highlighted to them by the student body. Staff representatives and members of the Physics LGBT+ Allies Network also raise the opinions of both students and staff in the department. The committee members work together to implement change within the department based on the ideas and discussions raised at the meetings. The committee is co-chaired by a current student, PhD student Jing Wu and staff member, Dr Julia Stawarz.
In the 2021-22 academic year, the committee met on three occassions on 4th November 2021, 4th March 2022, and 20th June 2022.
Items discussed throughout the year:
- Expanding the Physics LGBT+ Allies Network
- The Network is being expanded with more staff and students having expressed an interest in joining.
- Training for new and existing LGBT+ Allies
- Training has been developed and a training session has been scheduled for October 2022.
- Resources available to staff and students
- The Committee is putting together an LGBTQ+ Resources List for staff and students which will contain links to various resources and sources of support. This list will be made available shortly.
- Events to be planned
- The Committee is working on planning events for the 2022-23 academic year which will be advertised closer to the time.
In the 2022-23 academic year, the committee met throughout the academic year and minutes can be found below.
- 17 January 2023 - LGBT+AgendaJan2023 - Meeting Minutes
- 24 February 2023 - LGBT+AgendaFeb2023 - Meeting Minutes
- 9 March 2023 - LGBT+AgendaMarch2023 - Meeting Minutes