Recruitment and outreach student ambassadors
Our enthusiastic and committed team of Student Ambassadors play an important role in inspiring the next generation of scientists, engineers and doctors, both at home and overseas.
Our Student Ambassador Scheme offers you the chance to represent Imperial across a variety of different events and activities.
You will work alongside a wide range of people, including children and young people, prospective students from a range of countries and backgrounds, teachers, parents, and staff and fellow students from across the College. You can choose which activities you are best suited to and you'll be paid for those that you choose to do.
Typical opportunities for our ambassadors include:
Working with school students to share your passion for your subject
- supporting hands-on activities for students aged 6–18 to capture their interest in studying science, medicine and engineering in the Wohl Reach Out Lab at South Kensington
- inspiring the next generation of innovators in the Dangoor Reach Out Makerspace in White City by supporting our Maker Challenge programmes
- supporting young people from disadvantaged backgrounds on our regular STEM Outreach programmes and summer schools
Representing the College at events
- giving talks in local schools/colleges about your university experience
- working at our annual Undergraduate Open Days
- taking part in on-campus events for local schools/college students/prospective postgraduate students
- leading tours of campus
- taking part in online recruitment events, answering questions through chat or video
- representing Imperial at a range of higher education recruitment events such as UCAS fairs
- mentoring students online
- tutoring STEM subjects online (in person tutoring currently suspended due to pandemic)
Assisting with marketing activities
- social media activities e.g. takeovers
- responding to student enquiries via our online messaging service, Unibuddy
This is an opportunity to inspire the next generation of scientists, engineers and doctors, while meeting staff and students from across the College.
It is also a chance to develop your skills in:
- communication, in particular speaking and presenting
- planning and organising
Rates of pay
Our rate of pay starts at £12.58 per hour (£14.10 including holiday pay).
We only pay you for the activities you do. Some activities may require an ongoing commitment, for example, being a Unibuddy representative or blogger.
Once an ambassador, you will receive regular email notification about activities and programmes you can sign up to work on, giving you control of your schedule.
All of our Student Ambassadors receive training which covers some of the essential skills you will need.
You may also be invited to additional training sessions to cover any special activities that you have put yourself forward for, such as blogging or being a Unibuddy rep.
We pay you for any training sessions you attend.
How to apply
We typically run recruitment in the autumn term. Recruitment for the academic year 2022-23 is now closed.
To apply for the role of Student Ambassador, you will first need to attend an information session. This session will give you an insight into Recruitment and Outreach and the roles available as an ambassador. Only those who have attended an information session will be considered for an interview.
If you would like to receive an email ahead of when we open our next recruitment cycle, please register your interest. If you are interested in working on summer schools only, please see the summer work opportunities webpage.
- are from the following departments: Computing, Maths, Aeronautics, ESE, EEE, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering
- have experience of living in any of the following places: the Middle East, the Americas, Australasia, Africa
- have attended any of our Outreach programmes before coming to Imperial
- have insight and understanding of the educational experience of school students of Black British backgrounds and the barriers they face in accessing HE
If you have any questions about the scheme, please do get in touch with us via email@example.com.