Studying at university can be a challenge, especially if you have a disability, and we are keen to help you overcome any difficulties you may have and to fulfil your potential.  To that end, it is important that you let us know about any disability, specific learning difficulty or health problem as early as possible, so we can give you the necessary advice and support.  Some people never think of themselves as having a disability, but amongst the issues that we deal with regularly are:

  • Specific learning difficulties (such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, AD[H]D)
  • Autistic spectrum (such as Asperger’s)
  • Deafness or hearing difficulties
  • Long term mental health difficulties (such as chronic anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression)
  • Medical conditions (such as epilepsy, arthritis, diabetes, Crohn’s disease)
  • Eating disorders, alcohol problems
  • Physical disabilities or mobility impairments
  • Visual difficulties

The Disabilities Officer, Dr Thomas Lancaster, is the first point of contact within the Department for students with disabilities or special needs.  He is responsible for securing agreement for extra time in exams, arranging special exam sessions, providing notetaking and mentoring services, and ensuring that infrastructure needs (eg. cameras, sound systems) are met within the Department.  You should speak to him if you need to record lectures.  He works closely with the Senior Tutor, the Disability Advisory Service and teaching staff.  Read more information on disabilities and exams.

The Department of Computing Senior Tutor for undergraduate students is Dr Maria Valera-Espina (Huxley room 373)and the Deputy Undergraduate Senior Tutor is Dr Thomas Lancaster (Huxley room 305). The Senior Tutor for taught postgraduate students is Dr Thomas Lancaster (Huxley room 305). The Senior Tutor for postgraduate research students (PhD students) is Professor Sophia Drossopoulou (Huxley 559) and the Deputy Senior Tutor for postgraduate research students is Dr Amani El-Kholy (Huxley 436A). The Senior Tutors have overall responsibility for the academic and pastoral care of students in the department. 

Undergraduate and taught postgraduate students also have a Personal Tutor. We have a part-time Student Wellbeing Advisor in the Department, Michelle Langan (Huxley 454), who can provide with confidential support and advice with a variety of things such as accommodation, exercise, food and nutrition, sleep, identity, mental health, stress and anxiety and general Wellbeing.

If you hit personal problems and feel the need for advice, you should contact your Personal Tutor, who will try to help. If you feel that further steps are needed, or for confidential matters, please contact the appropriate Senior Tutor. In appropriate, you may be directed to other services within the College. We are an international multi-ethnic community. We tolerate and respect each other’s views and beliefs even if we do not agree with them. If you feel that you have been offended or insulted in any way by another member of the college speak to the appropriate Senior Tutor to discuss it. 

Always read and respond to email sent to your college account.

Welfare Services


All cases are dealt with in confidence.  However, it is often necessary to inform Personal Tutors and sometimes other relevant people.  We will normally specify who this would be.  Please make it clear if there is anyone whom you would not wish to be informed or involved.

In addition to support within the Department, it is possible to consult other advisors elsewhere in the College.  These include Faculty Senior Tutors, the College Student Counsellors and your Hall Warden.  Full information is available on the College's welfare and advice webpage.


The Student Counselling Service on Level 4 of the Sherfield Building is independent of the College academic structure.  Counselling is available free of charge to any student registered with the College, about any personal issue.  Visit their website or to arrange an appointment you can email or telephone 020-7594 9637.

Health Centre

The Health Centre, housed in 40 Prince’s Gardens, across Exhibition Road, has drop-in consultations most mornings and offers exam stress counselling amongst many other services.  You can ring them on 020-7584 6301, or check their website for further information.  It is recommended that you register with the Health Centre if you are staying in a Hall of Residence.

Personal Tutors

Personal Tutors provide a source of support to their tutees, both pastoral and academic. Personal Tutors have an important role in encouraging students to seek opportunities and make choices that develop them academically, personally and professionally. Personal Tutors should be in regular contact with tutees throughout their time at College.

Student Support Funds

It is likely that your time at Imperial College will be the first occasion on which you have had almost complete control over your finances and it is well known that this is not always easy.  If financial disaster, not of your own making, strikes, the College has hardship funds for home and overseas students.  Your Personal Tutor or the Senior Tutor is the first point of contact in these circumstances, and the earlier you address your problems, the greater the chance of finding a solution. Please visit Student Finance to find out more about the fund.

Exams & Mitigating Circumstances

You must contact the Senior Tutor by telephone or email if you are ill more than two days. Bring a medical note if you are absent over five days. You also need to contact the Senior Tutor if you are absent for more than two working days from college during term for any reason.

Candidates must submit their work before the deadline. Refer to our Late Submission Policy for more information.

If you suffer from serious and unforeseen circumstances1 during your course that affects your performance in a piece of assessment, you will need to fill in an extenuating circumstances form. The Department of Computing operates a policy where you can request a coursework extension deadline of up to two weeks. The request needs to be supported with appropriate evidence and the appropriate Coursework Extension Mitigation Request Form. The requests should be sent to your Year Coordinator and Senior Tutor and should be made as early as possible. If you missed the coursework deadline, during 5 working days from the coursework deadline, you can submit a Coursework Mitigation Request Form.

If you have mitigating circumstances that extend beyond a single 20% weight coursework, for example, you believe that your performance in an examination was affected, these will need to be considered under the College procedure for mitigating circumstances. Please complete the Mitigating Circumstances Request Form and email this request to the Senior Tutor. Forms are available from the Examinations and Assessment page, under the mitigating circumstances tab.

For both extension requests and mitigating circumstances requests, you should still submit the coursework you have completed by the deadline, even if this is incomplete. There is no guarantee that your claim will be accepted.

You can find further information on the mitigation procedure in Mitigation Circumstances

Once you get your official results, if you think that the Board of Examiners, Mitigating Circumstances or making and moderation process has not been followed the College policies and procedures, then you can file an academic appeal.



Examples of unforeseen circumstances based on the College implementation guide
Serious short term illness at the time of the assessment (or immediately prior)
Significant adverse personal or family circumstances
Victim of a serious crime
Unavoidable transport issues
Acute exacerbation of a chronic condition or disability
Public service, such as jury service or being required to act as a witness in court
Examples of evidences based on the College implementation guide
Self Certification
IC Health Centre letter/documentation
Other GP or medical professional letter/documentation
Breakdown report/repair report
Crime reference number
Death Certificate
Emergency responder official papers/notes
Exam invigilator report
Hospital admission/discharge papers
Letter from a legal professional/notary/executor of the estate
Letter from counsellor
Letter from a funeral director
Letter from a religious leader
Media report
An official court or police correspondence
Official communication from a transport provider
Order of service