Geotechnics Section News and Events
- We are delighted that academic staff member Dr. Katerina Tsiampousi and MSc alumnus Christina Mavromatti of Mott MacDonald feature in Ground Engineering’s March 2024 list of the industry’s top 20 most inspiring women. Prof. Lidija Zdravković, the 2024 Rankine lecture, is also profiled in this month's issue of Ground Engineering.
The Geotechnics Section in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Imperial College London is delighted to be recruiting new colleagues who wish to develop an academic career focusing on any of the following areas: (i) Geotechnical Engineering for Offshore Renewable Energy, (ii) Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, or (iii) Geotechnics for Climate Change Resilience. With these application areas in mind, we welcome applications from candidates with experience that could include soil-structure interaction, development of quantitative ground models for predictive analyses in offshore environments, laboratory testing, field investigations or numerical modelling, or other experience relevant to any of the three application areas listed.
Candidates at the start of their academic careers should consider applying for the Lecturer/Senior lecturer position.
Candidates with established academic careers should consider applying for the Reader/Chair position.Informal inquires can be made to email@example.com
- Data in Geotechnical Engineering: beyond conventional methods and design the Pre-Rankine half day seminar will be held at Imperial College London, 1:15 – 4:30 pm, 13th March 2024, followed by Rankine lecture at 5:30pm. View the schedule here:2024 Rankine Day Seminar
- The 62nd Rankine Lecture: Geotechnical Engineering for a Sustainable Society will be presented this year by our own Professor Lidija Zdravković of Imperial College London on the 13th Mar 2024 at 17:30 in The Great Hall, Sherfield Building, Imperial College London, Exhibition Road, SW7 2AZ. Full details, including the post-lecture dinner can be found on the BGA website.
- MSc Courses: We recently updated our overview of all the MSc Courses in Geotechnical Engineering, including our new option Geotechnical Engineering with Data Science.
- MSc Scholarships: The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering has offers Departmental Tuition Fee Scholarships ready to award for October 2024. Applicants for the Geotechnical Engineering MSc degrees can apply for these scholarships. Take a look at our scholarships search tool for the full list of available scholarships.
- Industrial bursary scheme: The Imperial College Geotechnics Industrial MSc Bursary Scheme was established in June 1996 to provide industrially funded bursary awards to MSc students. Funding normally covers full fees and partial subsistence costs, giving priority to UK based students. Further details can be found on our bursary group page.
The 6th ISSMGE McClelland Lecture: Time-dependent vertical bearing behaviour of shallow foundations' from Professor Richard Jardine is now available online: 6th ISSMGE McClelland Lecture: Time-dependent vertical bearing behavior of shallow foundations - YouTube
The ASCE Geo-Institute celebrates the birthday of Karl Terzaghi. On October 2nd Prof. John Burland participated in the ASCE GeoInstitute Terzaghi presentiation which is now available online: John Burland Terzaghi Day
- Annual Geotechnics Summer Day out 2023: We had a lovely time playing Football and Cricket for our Annual Geotechnics Summer Day out 2023, with our Staff and PhDs being severely beaten by the MSc students!
- 2023 Ground Engineering Rising Star Award: Four alumni from our MSc courses were nominated for the 2023 Ground Engineering Rising Star Award. Congratulations to MSc alumnus Stamatina Marinatou at Atkins who was awarded the prize. We are really pleased that other MSc alumni Iñigo Garmendia Odriozola at CGL, Arabel Vilas Serin at Typsa, and Leidy Bejarano at Ferrovial Construction were also nominated.
- The 2022 BGA Medal has been awarded to Dr Ken Vinck, Prof Richard Jardine and Dr James Lawrence of Imperial Collegefor their paper “Advanced in situ and laboratory characterisation of the ALPACA chalk research site”. Read more.
2022 BGA Masters prize: Danette Tan, a former MSc student, was awarded the 2022 BGA Masters prize for her MSc dissertation “Assessing life extensions of ageing infrastructure" Find out more.
- 2024 Rankine Lecture: We are delighted that Prof. Lidija Zravkovic has been nominated as the 2024 BGA Rankine lecturer.