Please view our guidance below for other engagements, including academic visitors, permitted paid engagements, sponsored researchers and the youth mobility scheme.


Academic visitors

Academic visitors are generally academics/researchers on sabbatical leave (paid or unpaid) employed at an overseas academic institution who come to the College to undertake their own research. They can also include academics (including doctors) taking part in formal exchange arrangements with United Kingdom counterparts and eminent senior doctors and dentists coming to take part in research, teaching or clinical practice.  Academic visitors are not 'employed' by the College and must not be paid or funded by the College.  Payment of expenses to cover their needs whilst in the UK may however be made.

Departments/Divisions wishing to host an Academic Visitor should provide them with a formal letter of invitation that has been arranged in advance. A template invitation letter is available upon request from the HR Compliance team.

Nationals of specified countries may not need to apply for a standard visitor visa in advance of travel, if they are visiting the College (and will stay in the UK) for less than 6 months. This can be checked using the check if you need a UK visa tool.

Please visit the Government's website for information on the Standard Visitor visa process.

Permitted paid engagements

Permitted Paid Engagement visitors do not require a Certificate of Sponsorship but do require a Permitted Paid Engagement visitor visa which allows them to carry out short-term fee paid activities such as giving a lecture, examining students, and/or participating in or chairing selection panel for up to a maximum of one month.

The engagement must relate to the visitor’s area of expertise and/or qualifications and must relate to their main occupation overseas.

Departments/Divisions wishing to engage a PPE Visitor should provide them with a formal letter of invitation for each engagement that has been arranged in advance.

When issuing the formal letter of invitation to a PPE visitor, please confirm to the visitor that when entering the UK, they will need to see a UK Border Officer and obtain a PPE ‘entry stamp’ in their passport, and not to use the eGates.

Please see the factsheet, and request for passport stamp template that the PPE Visitor can carry with them when travelling through UK Border to ensure they are directed to Border Office to have their passport stamped.

Without the correct UK entry stamp, these individuals would be unable to undertake the activities they are coming to the College to do. Additionally, please ensure that before any engagement starts, that a right to work document check is completed using the College RTW Checklist.

Please visit the Government's website for further information on the Permitted Paid Engagement visa process.

Sponsored researchers (Tier 5)

‌The College has a sponsor licence under the Tier 5 – Government Authorised Exchange category which allows us to act as sponsors for sponsored researchers working on a supernumerary research collaboration to come to the UK for up to a maximum of 24 months.

Sponsored researchers are not 'employed' by the College.  They must not fill advertised job vacancies but can fill a research post and work under the full or partial control of the College which will benefit from the research. They are normally invited to come to the UK to lead or to take part in a formal research project which is hosted but not necessarily funded by the College, can be funded from sources in the UK or overseas and paid by either the College or by their employing organisation.

Sponsored researchers must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from the College and pass a points based assessment in order to obtain permission to work in the UK.  A Certificate of Sponsorship can only be issued for non EEA nationals who have qualifications equivalent to N/SVQ level 3 or above.

Departments/Divisions wishing to sponsor a sponsored researcher should complete a Sponsored Researcher Certificate of Sponsorship application form and email this to the HR Compliance team along with the necessary supporting documents before HR can issue a CoS.

Please visit the Government's website for further information on the Points Based System Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) Scheme.

Youth Mobility scheme (Tier 5)

The Youth Mobilty scheme does not require the College to be a licensed sponsor since the national government of the participating countries will be the sponsor.

In order to employ workers in this category a reciprocal agreement must be in place between the UK and the country of which the migrant is a national.  Currently agreements have been reached with the following countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Monaco
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan
  • Hong Kong

Successful applicants will be given permission to enter the UK for up to a maximum of 24 months and will be able to undertake whatever work they wish to during that time.

British overseas citizens, British overseas territories citizens and British nationals (overseas) can also apply under the scheme and do not need a sponsor.

Youth Mobility Scheme workers are responsible for applying for their own permits to work and are awarded points based on their nationality, age, and available maintenance (funds).

Please visit the Government's website for futher information on the Youth Mobility Scheme visa process.