An image of students sitting on a bench outside

Find out more about Destination Imperial - a hub for offer holders!


Course Information for October 2021 Entry

Please find the up to date course information for 2021 entry. 

Materials Science and Engineering Materials with Nuclear Engineering

BEng - UCAS JF52 - ECTS: 180 - 3 yrs

MEng - UCAS JFM2 - ECTS: 240 - 4 yrs

MEng - UCAS J5H8 - ECTS: 240 - 4 yrs


Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering 

 Materials with Management

MEng - UCAS BJ95  - ECTS: 240 - 4 yrs

BEng - UCAS J5N2 - ECTS: 180 - 3 yrs
Summary of the table's contents

Computer Requirements for the course

You will need a laptop for some classes and coursework. The laptop must meet the following minimum specification:

  • Windows 10 capable 
  • Intel i5/i7 6th/7th generation processor 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • 256 GB SSD HDD  
  • Webcam

You will be taught and expected to use software such as SolidWorks® 2019, CES Edupack 2019 and Mindview 7 among others from Year 1 onwards. This software will be available to download for free from the Imperial Software Hub, when you enrol as a student. Using this software on a windows-based system with 16GB RAM and a basic graphics card will lead to a better experience.  

The Department has a number of laptops available for loan for the duration of your course. A deposit of £100 is required and this is refundable when you return the laptop at the end of your course. Logistics permitting, we will endeavour to provide access to this scheme even if you are unable to join us on campus due to the covid pandemic.

Please also note that Imperial has allowed students to ‘remote access’ computers in the library, so if you have a stable internet connection, you will be able to use this software on a college PC.  

If you are on the South Kensington campus, there are multiple venues to access a computer including our very own computer room (G08). 

ATAS Certificate and official documents

Please see below what you will need to do before joining us in October.

ATAS Certificate

Submitting Official Documents


You will need to apply for an ATAS certificate from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office if this is part of your offer condition.

Information on how to apply for ATAS is available on the Gov UK website

Further information on applying for ATAS, from the International Student Support Team including FAQ’s and guidance can be found on our website and in the left-hand sidebar of this webpage. Please refer to this before you start your application. 

You apply for an ATAS certificate on the Gov UK website.

PLEASE NOTE: ATAS is only valid for 6 months and must be valid at the start of the course. We advise that you do not submit your ATAS application before April.

Documents including your official A-Level certificates (or secondary leaving certificate equivalent), English Language Certificates and ATAS Certificate must be sent by email (as pdf documents), directly to the Imperial College London Registry Team at

PLEASE NOTE: All applicants must send their official documents to the Imperial College London Registry Team to be verified, NOT the Department of Materials.

Summary of the table's contents

Frequently Asked Questions

How many students are in Year One?

We usually have an intake of approximately 100 students per year.

What is the workload like for a Materials student?

The college expects full commitment from its students, and the course is difficult. Lectures, workshops, labs and tutorial all happen between 9:00 to 17:00 on Mondays to Fridays. Unlike school, we do not timetable self-study. We organise lectures, lab classes, tutorials and problem classes and any time outside of this is yours to use as you wish.

There is also time in the programme (such as evenings, Wednesday afternoons and weekends) which allows students to explore sports or one of our many societies. Most students are engaged in societies and use this to grow their skills and improve mental health. Please see the list of societies available.

Is there a large gap between A-Levels and the first year at University?  

No, the first-year courses are built on knowledge gained during A Levels/IB/AP. The courses will get harder as the course progresses, but if you attend the lectures, workshops and tutorials, this will support you. Our lecturers are also very approachable and will support if you are having difficulties.

How many students pursue a Masters Degree or PhD after they graduate?

Around 2/3 of our year groups continue to complete the MEng programmes. A few students chose to complete a BEng degree and then pursue a Masters at another institution. Ultimately this will depend on your interests and what you would like to focus on at University.  

How friendly and helpful is the Materials community at Imperial? 

Materials is a small community, so everyone is very helpful and supportive. Our Faculty are very approachable, and our Professional Service Staff are always willing to help you. 

Does the Materials Department have a 'year abroad' option?

There is no specific course that includes a year abroad. However, a select number of high-performing students can apply to attend a semesters exchange at MIT in their 4th year.

Can you please tell us more about Year 3 placement and UROP?

The placements are usually self-organised. However, there is plenty of help available from your Personal Tutor, Departmental Placement Coordinator and the college Careers Service. You can also approach lecturers who have industrial connections, and they are often happy to help students. Students can complete a UROP at any time during their study. You can hear from our students about their own experience and visit the College UROP webpage for further details on applying.

What are the benefits of taking horizon modules and is compulsory?

Horizons is usually done outside of normal study hours and is used to gain extra qualifications. Examples of horizon's modules include languages, presentation skills etc. This is not compulsory unless you have elected to complete the modules for credit. i-Explore is a new module which allows students to take cross-department or horizons modules in their 3rd year as part of the course.  

How do the tutor groups work?

Our tutor groups usually have 4-5 students per group, and you are assigned a tutor throughout your entire degree. Your tutor will support with pastoral matters. You will also be assigned a Maths tutor in the first year, who will work on 'group problem' classes with you. Our workshops combine several tutor groups to form 20 student groups. Here you will have the opportunity to discuss the questions that are pre-released by a lecturer and learn to problem-solve together.

What can you advise for A-Level/IB students as we haven't done the exams? 

For offer holders starting in 2021, more information will be communicated when we have a clearer picture of 2021. As everyone will be in similar positions, our lecturers will ensure to fill in any gaps in knowledge.

Are there a list of topics from Physics and/or Chemistry to learn before the start of term?

More information will be shared nearer the time for 2021 offer holders. However, we encourage you to look at some of the suggestions in our April Newsletter 2020, which can be found in the sidebar of this webpage. Our April communications outlines Coursera links with topics that we would like you to be aware of.

Can I use a Macbook for my study?

Windows is usually required to run a range of scientific specific software, such as SolidWorks. However, you will be able to borrow a laptop from the student office or use a university in-house computers if you need to.

Which programmes are available for students to gain exposure to entrepreneurship? 

As part of our new course, we run in-house business based modules which will include entrepreneurship. Alternatively, Imperial Business School offers courses on entrepreneurship that can be taken as cross-department courses in your 3rd and 4th year. The Horizons programme can also be taken outside of your course. Please also find details of our Materials with Management course. 

Which particular companies work with the Department?

Rolls Royce, BP, Shell, DSTL are some of the big companies which work with our Department. There are also many more that sponsor our students and lecturers.