COVID-19 Travel Insurance Advice

  • Please see FAQs
  • Please see EGENCIA FAQs
  • For further information please go to about/covid-19 
  • If your query hasn't been answered through the FAQ, please contact the Insurance Manager below 

Chantal Coulson - Insurance Manager

Phone: (+44) 020 7594 7135


Previous step - Country guidanceInsurance Travel Registration FormTravel Insurance Policy detailsNext step - Emergency contact details and risk assessmentsTravel Insurance Certificate 2023 - 2024 [word]

Travel Insurance

  • Insurers - American International Group UK Limited (AIG) for all business trips
  • Travel Assistance - for Medical and Security provision please download AIG Travel Assistance App. 
  • No cover for pure holidays
  • Limited cover for private travel dependent on number of business travel days - see Incidental travel (pdf).   
  • Travel risk management considerations needed for sanctioned countries or businesses  - see sanctions information
  • Useful information sources:

AIG Travel Assistance for pre travel information as well as pre programmed access to insurers 24 hour helpline.  The app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play.  You need to enter the Policy number 0010016145 as part of the registration process.


If you are travelling overseas on College business either short or long trips, you must register your travel to be insured with the College.

So we have a central record of travellers you need to  complete the Insurance Travel Registration Form

Data Privacy

Imperial College offers the registration to staff in order to assist in their travel arrangements whilst acting as representatives of Imperial College London.  The collection and processing of information will only be used for the purpose of travel management and in accordance to the staff Privacy notices.  Full details are available.


See Policy wording (pdf) for the full policy wording and exclusions.  Please note that Section B2.1 and B3 is superceded by Personal Property Cover (pdf) wording.

Healthcare cover abroad

There are 2 types of cover available. You can apply for either:

  • A UK Global Health Insurance Card (UK GHIC)
  • A UK European Health Insurance Card (UK EHIC), if you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement

The card allows UK residents to receive free or reduced cost medical care when travelling or staying temporarily in an EU country or Switzerland. The card is valid for five years and covers medical care if you become ill or have an accident during your trip.  Also see Occupational Health's webpage Travel.

A UK GHIC and New UK EHIC are free of charge.  For further information please visit

Please see next step Emergency contact details and risk assessment.