Parent and Carer Networks

There are a number of networks, internal and external to Imperial, that bring together students who are parents or carers. Click here to find out more about them.

Support for pregnant students

If you become pregnant during your studies, you are encouraged to inform your Personal Tutor/Senior Tutor or Supervisor as early as you can, in order to receive support from early on in your pregnancy. The appropriate person in your department will carry out a risk assessment and develop a pregnancy plan with you that will identify any support or adjustments required. This may include planned maternity leave, exam arrangements, and a review if you are working with chemicals, pathogens or radiation etc.

Further information about taking an interruption of studies, maternity, paternity or adoptive leave is available here.

International students

If you are planning to bring your family to the UK with you during your studies, comprehensive information and advice is available from the International Student Support Team.

Once you are here at Imperial, you can join the International Family Network which brings international families together in a welcoming and informal environment.

If you are an international student holding a T4 visa and planning to take maternity leave, you should contact the International Student Support Team as soon as you can to discuss your options. If you take an interruption of studies for maternity leave this may impact on your student status, so it is important that you receive expert visa advice to help you plan your next steps.

Childcare at Imperial

The early years education centre provides childcare and education services to children of Imperial's staff and students, aged between 6 months and 5 years. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible as there may be a waiting list for places. 

Baby-changing and nursing/breastfeeding facilities

Baby's hand holding an adult's fingerDesignated resting and nursing rooms are available at each campus for use by pregnant staff and students needing to rest and those needing to express milk or nurse their baby. There may also be designated rooms in your department that you can use – check with your departmental administrator about local facilities. 

Baby changing facilities are located across the College campuses.