Below are answers to some common questions you may have about your tuition fees.

If you are eligible for a tuition fee loan from the UK Government, you do not pay tuition fees up-front. Find out more about student loan repayment.

Frequently asked questions

How much are the tuition fees for my course?

The rate of tuition fees you pay is based on your fee status (Home/EU or international). Find out more about how we assess your fee status.

Home and EU students

The tuition fee for Home and EU students starting at Imperial in 2019 is £9,250 per year.

This fee is controlled by the UK government and will increase annually by an amount linked to inflation and approved by Parliament.

If you have applied for a Tuition Fee Loan, your tuition fees will be paid directly to Imperial by the Student Loans Company (SLC) – you will not receive this money yourself. This payment is made in three instalments each year, once confirmation is received by SLC from the College that you are in attendance at the start of each term:

When tuition fees are paid by SLC to ImperialHow much is paid to Imperial
 Start of Term 1  25% of the tuition fee
 Start of Term 2  25% of the tuition fee
 Start of Term 3  50% of the tuition fee
Summary of the table's contents


Overseas students

The fees for overseas students vary per course. Find out more about Imperial's tuition fees and search for the rate for individual courses for 2019 on our Tuition fees website.

I'm paying the tuition fees myself, how do I do this?

If you are paying your tuition fees yourself or they are being paid by a sponsor it is your responsibility to make sure that your fees are paid on time as there may be penalties for late payment.

Invoices and payment

You will normally receive an invoice within five working days of completing the final condition of your academic offer. Invoices are issued via email from so please check the email address(es) you provided during your application regularly, and make sure that your junk mail filter will allow this email address to get through.

Tuition fees are payable each year by 1 September or within 30 days of invoicing depending on when it's sent (check the invoice itself for details). You may make any number of payments towards the invoice total at any time after receiving your invoice to ensure full payment reaches the College by the due date.

There will be information about how to pay your fees included with the invoice; you can also find details on our How to pay page.

Please make sure that you read our payment terms in full.

If you have any questions about paying your tuition fees then please email or phone the team on 020 7594 8011.

I have been invoiced for fees but have applied for a Tuition Fee Loan, what should I do?

If you believe that your tuition fees are being funded by a Tuition Fee Loan from the Student Loans Company but you have received a tuition fees invoice from the College, please first check that you have received confirmation of the loan.

Once you have this confirmation, please forward a copy to the Tuition Fees team or bring a copy in to the Student Hub. Once the team receives this confirmation, your invoice will be cancelled.

Please also ensure that you apply for the correct loan amount, as any difference between the amount applied for and the final tuition fee amount due will be invoiced to you directly.

What's the payment process if a sponsor is paying my tuition fees?

You will be considered liable for your fees until the sponsorship award has been formally confirmed by your sponsoring organisation and accepted by the College. The College has rules about what it considers acceptable sponsorship.

If you have declared that you are fully sponsored you will not be able to enrol at the College until proof of sponsorship has been accepted by the College.

If you have applied for sponsorship but this award has not yet been confirmed, you should state that you are self-funding until it is confirmed.

Students who are partially sponsored should state that they are self-funding when accepting their offer.

For more information about payment of fees by a sponsor, including how to provide evidence of a sponsorship agreement, please see the 'Sponsored students' section on the Student Finance website.

I have a question about CAS.

This page provides a brief guide to using a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from Imperial College London to prove tuition fees payments made to the College to the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration section of the Home Office.

If you have any queries, please contact

Questions about tuition fees

Where can I find Imperial's payment terms?

See the Student Finance website for our full payment terms, as well as specific information for undergraduate students.

Who should I contact about a tuition fee payment I've made?

If you have a question about payments already made to the College please get in touch with the Accounts Receivable Office:
020 7594 8858

How will the EU Referendum affect EU students?

Please see the College's dedicated EU Referendum webpage, which has the most up-to-date information.