South Kensington area picture

Instructing External Lawyers

In circumstances where a matter requires specialist advice, or where costs and resources make it appropriate to do so, the College may engage external lawyers to work on a particular matter. The Legal Department will determine if the College needs to engage external lawyers in respect of a matter and will determine, in consultation with your Department or Division, which law firm or barrister should be instructed. The College's Insurance Manager may instruct external solicitors in some instances.Where the need for external advice arises specifically in connection with the affairs of a single Department of Division of the College, the costs will normally be borne by that Department or Division. In any event, the responsibility for costs should be determined before external advisors are instructed.