Non-College Matters: The College is unable to provide personal advice to staff or students or general advice to third parties.

Non-college matters


  • We cannot act for employees in respect of their shareholdings in spin-out companies of the College or in respect of the exploitation of intellectual property which they own.
  • We do not resolve disputes within the College, if your query relates to such a matter please refer to the College's grievance procedure set out in Ordinance D9.
  • If you are an employee and require legal advice in respect of a personal matter in the first instance we suggest contacting the College's Employee Assistance Provider as their advisors should be able to provide guidance. For further details, please see the Confidential Care webpage.


  • We cannot provide legal advice to individual students of the College in respect of personal matters. If you are a student and require legal advice in respect of a personal matter, we suggest you make use of the Student Union's advice service in the first instance as the advisors should be able to point you in the right direction as to the best way to resolve your matter. You may contact the advice service by telephone on 020 7594 8067 or by email at

Third Parties

  • We cannot act for, or advise, any third parties, including joint venture vehicles, students, visiting academics and trustees of trusts associated with the College. Independent legal advice should be sought in respect of such matters.