We have a distinguished tradition of excellence in teaching, research and practice. We bring together internationally leading staff, exceptional students and state-of-the-art facilities.
What we do
It gives me great pleasure to introduce the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering. We focus on interactions between the built environment and the natural world and recognise that civil and environmental engineering are crucial to meeting the major challenges faced by society; including climate change, economic recovery, growing population and urbanisation, conservation of natural resources, development of renewable energy sources, sustainable transport, environmental quality and infrastructure ageing and resilience. Our graduates possess the skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary to lead society's response to these challenges.
Professor Nick Buenfeld
- Head of Department
- To advance the very basic science at the core of civil engineering and its sub-disciplines.
- To explore opportunities for discovery at the intersections of existing disciplines.
- Build a future without walls by participation in cross-disciplinary research teams to address the world's most challenging problems.
- Foster long-term, strategic relationships with companies, foundations, governmental organisations, and other partners to advance research.
- Nurture and develop the next generation of globally recognised engineers and researchers.
- To engage with the world and communicate the importance and benefits of science to society.
Caption: We offer PhD research opportunities across the full breadth of the civil engineering discipline, as well as eight taught MSc programmes and an undergraduate MEng (with a year abroad option). Discover more about our world class Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes.
Caption: We work in all areas of civil engineering including environment and water resources, fluid mechanics, geotechnics, structures, systems and transport engineering. Discover more about our internationally leading research.
Caption: The Department houses five large and well-equipped laboratories which cover all the sub-disciplines of Civil Engineering, most of which have undergone extensive refurbishment and upgrading in recent years. Discover more about our state-of-the-art laboratories and facilities.