Postgraduate research admissions (PhD)
Interested in world class ....
The Department provides a highly stimulating environment for research, attracting outstanding applicants from a variety of academic backgrounds. Research students form an integral part of the Department's research community. The Department is recognised nationally and internationally as one of the leading centres of research in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
The Department is comprised of 7 research sections. We also participate in a number of Centres for Doctoral Training (CDT), which offer additional studentships and scholarships.
Why choose us?
League table rankings
National Student Survey
- Overall Satisfaction, 90.2 (2022), 89.9 (2021); 78.1 (2020); 88% (2019)
QS World Universities rankings
- Subject Ranking. Civil Engineering = 6th (2022); 6th (2021); 5th (2020); 6th (2019)
- Overall, Imperial was voted 7th best university in the world in the 2022 rankings.
Guardian University Guide (UK)
- Subject Ranking. Engineering: Civil = 3rd (2022); 4th (2021); 1st (2020); 1st (2019)
- Overall, Imperial was ranked 7th in this year's Guardian university guide.
The Times Higher Education world ranking
- Subject Ranking. Engineering and Technology = 14th (2021); 11th (2020); 12th (2019)
- Overall, Imperial was ranked 11th best university in this year's rankings.
The Sunday Times Good University Guide (UK)
- Subject Ranking. Civil Engineering = 1st (2022); 4th (2021); 4th (2020); 3rd (2019); 1st (2018)
Complete University Guide
- Subject Ranking. Civil Engineering = 2nd (2023), 8th (2022); 7th (2021); 6th (2020); 2nd (2019); 1st (2018)
- Overall, Imperial ranked 5th best university in this year's rankings.
- REF 2021. 75% of our research was considered 4* (highest rating), and the remaining 25% at 3* (unit of assessment: engineering).
- REF 2014. 47% of our research assessed to be 4* (highest rating), 48% assessed to be 3* and 5% assessed as 2* (unit of assessment: civil and construction engineering).
- RAE 2008. 40% of our research assessed to be 4* (highest rating), 55% assessed to be 3* and 3% assessed as 2* (unit of assessment: civil engineering).
CivSoc is the student-run society for the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Imperial College London. They organise a wide variety of events throughout the year including social events, talks, site visits, careers presentations and the very popular annual International Tour.
During the first year there is a one-week residential Surveying camp. In Year 2 there are two one-week residential field trips, Geology and the Constructionarium. In addition to these, there are a number of visits associated with various elective courses offered in the Third and Fourth Years.
Throughout the MEng degree our students undertake a number of projects, both as individuals and in groups to apply knowledge and broaden their skills, including team working.
Each academic year, a number of prizes are awarded in recognition of student achievement. These are celebrated in a prize giving ceremony held annually on Commemoration day.