Students registered for the MEng in Civil Engineering with a Year Abroad (H202) will spend their final year abroad, undertaking an equivalent workload to students of the Host Institution, including an independent research project similar in scope and scale to the project carried out students spending their final year at Imperial. Graduates will be awarded the MEng degree in Civil Engineering with a Year Abroad from Imperial College London (MEng), and the Associateship of the City and Guilds Institute (ACGI).

Securing a placement abroad

Numbers are normally capped at Host institution level, making selection for some partner institutions competitive. For institutions where the language of instruction is not English, it is recommended to register on the Year Abroad course during the application stage, although it may be possible to transfer during the MEng on the approval of the Year Abroad Coordinator, Dr Christian Onof

To secure a place to study abroad, students are normally expected to achieve an aggregate mark of at least 67% in the combined assessments for years 1 and 2, make satisfactory academic progress during year 3, and have achieved a Level 4 minimum in the relevant language. You will have access to a dedicated Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) resource site to support the application process.

Our Bi-Lateral Partner Universities (with language requirements)

Swiss-European Mobility programme

"Students who undertake a year abroad can normally expect to be able to apply to the College for a mobility grant to help cover additional costs associated with undertaking the placement. A year abroad undertaken in France might include a paid internship – organised by the host university - as part of the approved study plan. Please consult further general information about Imperial’s year abroad programme"

Our Bi-Lateral Partner Universities (no language requirements)

Prior registration is not necessary and applications will be called for in January of the Third Year.

Our current partner universities are listed below. Please note that this list is open to change.

For California, First Class level standard is generally required as this is a very competitive application process. This is a faculty level exchange and places are not guaranteed to be available to Civil Engineering undergraduates each year.

Please read introductory information on language preparation for exchanges where this is relevant


Incoming Exchange student enquiries should be directed to the Year Abroad Administrator, Akua Boakye,, telephone + 44 20 7594 5965.