Allergic airways disease and asthma
Dates to be confirmed
- Duration: 2 days (plus 8 weeks online learning)
- £395 per module
- 10% discount for ICHNT staff
- Venue: Online
- Contact us
COVID-19 update: Due to current Covid-19 restrictions, this course will be delivered remotely.
In this course you will study a comprehensive coverage of allergic airways diseases and their place within the cohort of allergic diseases. The evidence-based approaches to the pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment will be explored and the management of a range of cases, from simple to complex, will be covered.
A range of Imperial and international expert speakers will cover an exciting programme of pre-recorded materials and live interactive sessions.
This course forms part of a range of short courses in Allergy which are available both to students who are enrolled on the MSc in allergy programme, and as stand-alone CPD programmes for GPs, specialist trainees and consultants, nurses, dietitians and other healthcare professionals wishing to improve their ability to manage allergic patients in daily practice.
By the end of the course, students will be better able to:
- Analyse the factors influencing asthma development, progression and persistence, on how this may apply to individual patients
- Evaluate research regarding the nature of the interaction between genetics and environmental factors in the pathogenesis of allergic airway disease
- Plan and communicate a rational evidence-based approach to the diagnosis and management of allergic airways diseases, and be able to communicate this to colleagues and patients
- Appraise the new research findings in allergic airways disease and apply them to improve patient care in clinical practice both independently and as a team
- Assess the risks and benefits of allergen-specific immunotherapy for the treatment of asthma in children and adults in clinical practice
Course structure & delivery
Live online sessions - 10 & 11 February 2021
The live online sessions will take place on 10 & 11 February 2021 between 13.00 - 16.45. Please note these timings may be subject to change.
You are advised to book 2 full days leave if possible to go through the pre-recorded resources and prepare for the live sessions. Pre-recorded materials will be released before the live teaching days to allow more flexibility in accessing these resources. Registered participants will be invited to a launch webinar where further details of the course will be presented and access to the content given.
Planned sessions (provisional)
Pre-recorded sessions will cover:
- Pathophysiology of asthma
- Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of asthma
- Asthma across the life course: what have we learned from cohort studies?
- Asthma in a low and middle income setting
- Asthma Genetics
- Occupational lung disease (advanced)
- Early life influences last lifelong
- Asthma: how the allergist can help
- Effects of environmental pollution
- Clinical trials in asthma
- Airway Microbiome
- Biologics in severe asthma
Live interactive sessions will include:
- ‘Q&A’ with expert panel
- Live interactive case session: Preschool wheeze
- Live interactive case session: Difficult School age asthma
- Live interactive case session: Adult asthma
- Student-led journal club session
- eWorkshop - Lung Function testing
- eWorkshop - Breathing control – role of physiotherapy
- eWorkshop - Asthma medication delivery devices
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for doctors (GPs, specialist trainees and consultants in Allergy, Paediatrics, Respiratory Medicine or ENT), as well as nurses and other healthcare professionals wishing to improve their ability to manage patients with allergic airways disease in daily practice.
Participants have the option of completing an assessment component and on completion will be provided with an official Imperial College London transcript of results. Details of the assessment and deadline for submission will be given during the course. Please note that there is an additional assessment fee payable in full prior to submission date. Please contact us for further information.