Frequently Asked Questions

What is mental health?

Mental health is a state of mental well-being that enables people to cope with the stresses of life, realize their abilities, learn well and work well, and contribute to their community. It is an integral component of health and well-being that underpins our individual and collective abilities to make decisions, build relationships and shape the world we live in. Mental health is a basic human right. And it is crucial to personal, community and socio-economic development.

How can I access wellbeing support?

Please get in touch with our Wellbeing Advisor, Danny Lee. She can be contacted for one-one sessions: book a wellbeing meeting with Danny. 

Who will know if I'm accessing support?

Any support given will be confidential and discreet unless there is a concern about risk, in which case we may need to talk to your GP or include another member of staff in the department. We will always try and talk to you about this first.

Will I get in trouble with the department or College for disclosing mental health difficulties?

No, the College sees accessing support a sign of strength not something to be punished for. In fact, reaching out to support within the department may help if you have fallen behind with your studies or are not doing as well on your course as you had hoped.

Who is wellbeing support for?

The wellbeing support is for any student in the department who feels that it may benefit for them to speak to someone. Most people can benefit from talking to someone and sharing any worries they may have. It is best to access support as early as possible as waiting can make recovery much harder than it needs to be. Don’t wait for a crisis point to seek help.

What should I do if I am experiencing a Mental Health Crisis or am with someone who is experiencing a crisis?

If you, or someone you know, is experiencing a mental health crisis, you can call the NHS 24-hour Mental Health Crisis Lines:

  1. Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Hillingdon, Brent, Camden and Harrow 0800 0234 650
  2. Ealing, Hammersmith and Fulham and Hounslow 0300 1234 244 
  3. Wandsworth 020 3513 4421
  4. Berkshire 0300 365 9999

What should I do if I am feeling suicidal?

If you are concerned about the immediate safety of yourself or of someone else you should call 999 immediately.

Alternatively, you can call the Samaritans on 116 123. It is free to call and is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.