If you are concerned about the validity of your visa or you have had your passport/BRP stolen or lost we have provided some information below on how to deal with these difficult situations. You should still speak to an adviser in the International Student Support team to discuss your particular circumstances.

Showcase area

My visa was refused - what do I do?

If your visa application has been refused you will need a new CAS number before you can make another application. To obtain a new CAS number you must

Once we have assessed the refusal letter and seen new supporting documents for your next visa application, we will be able to determine if you can be issued with a new CAS number.

I want to take a break from my studies / I have to resit my exams!

If you are thinking about taking a break from your studies, this is called an interruption of studies. The break is usually for the reminder of the academic year or a full calendar year and most often is needed for health-related, financial or other personal / work-related reasons. If you decide to pause your studies your student status will change (you will still be registered but not enrolled). This may affect things like your funding, your right to remain in the UK or services that depend on being an enrolled student. It is important that you understand the implications.

The Student Support Zone webpage provides guidance so that you understand what you need to think about, who is available to advise and support you, and how to apply for an interruption of studies.

I need legal advice!

The International Student Support team are able to advise specifically on matters related to student visas. Where we are unable to advise we will recommend that you seek legal advice from an immigration specialist.  We have compiled a list of suggested Immigration solicitors [pdf] however you should still conduct your own search to find an appropriate solicitor for your particular circumstances.

I've lost my passport!

If your passport is lost or stolen you must

  1. Report this to the police and obtain a crime reference number/letter from the police.
  2. Apply for a new passport through your country’s Embassy or High Commission
  • As soon as your new passport is issued you must upload a scan of the photo page to your Student e-Service.

Within the UK

If you have not lost your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) then you just need to apply for the replacement passport.

If your visa is still a sticker in your passport you will need to apply to the Home Office to have your visa transferred into the new passport. You will need to complete a Transfer of Conditions (TOC) application. This will result in you being issued with a Biometric Residence Permit instead of a new sticker in your passport. More information is available on the Home Office website about transferring your visa to a new passport.

Outside the UK

If you have not lost your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) then you just need to apply for the replacement passport.

If your passport is lost or stolen from outside the UK, and your visa is still a sticker in your passport, then you will need to make a new Student Visa application however you would NOT need a new CAS number nor supporting documents except for a Statement of Attendance from the College to confirm you are still studying on your course. You will still need to pay the full cost of the application. Please refer to the Home Office website for further information.

I've lost my Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

If your visa is in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) and has been lost or stolen you will need to

  1. Report this to the police and obtain a crime reference number/letter from the police
  2. Contact the Home Office via their webform to report the loss or theft. The Home Office will contact you within 1 working day to tell you if you need to apply for a replacement. You need to provide the Home Office with the following details: your full name, nationality, date of birth, and an email or postal address to report your BRP lost or stolen.

Your BRP will then be cancelled.

Further steps you will need to take depending on whether your BRP was lost/stolen within the UK or outside the UK

Within the UK

If your BRP is lost or stolen while you are in the UK you must apply for a replacement within three months of notifying the Home Office by email. Refer to the Home Office website for the BRP(RC) Form.

Outside the UK

  1. Apply for a replacement BRP at the British Embassy - You have to apply for a Replacement BRP (single entry) visa at the British Embassy. You do NOT need a new CAS. The application costs £154. You need to complete the online application form. Please note that when it asks you to Select Visa Type, choose Other > Others > Replacement Biometric Residence Permit.
  2. Apply for a new BRP visa card when you have returned to the UK within 1 month - Once you have returned to the UK, you must apply to the Home Office for a BRP(RC) to obtain a new BRP card within 1 month (or you may have to pay a fine of up to £1,000 or your visa could be curtailed). This application costs £72.50 and it can take several weeks to be processed. Or you could apply in person at a premium service centre by paying an additional £590. You will need to book an appointment online in advance, and a new BRP will be delivered to you within 7-10 working days after your appointment.

Right to Rent

All private landlords in England are required by law to make ‘right to rent’ checks. This means checking that all tenants have the right to be in the UK.

What this means for students

All students entering a new tenancy agreement or extending their existing tenancy agreement for private accommodation on or after 1 February 2016 will have specific documents checked by the landlord or letting agent.

The Student Accommodation team can answer your questions about renting accommodation in the private sector.


The landlord or letting agent must see the original documents and will take copies of the originals. They will return the original documents to you.

As an international student in the UK your proof of right to rent will be your

  • Passport and
  • Biometric Resident Permit

Guidance for landlords on acceptable documents

Arranging accommodation before your arrive in the UK

If you arrange your accommodation before you arrive in the UK then your landlord or letting agent will check your right to rent before you move into the property. A right to rent check cannot be carried out more than 28 days before you enter into a tenancy agreement with your landlord.

If your required documents are with the Home Office

If your documents, such as your passport and visa, are with the Home Office, your landlord will need to request a ‘right to rent’ check for you. This can take 48 hours.

If you have used the Check and Send Service through the International Student Support office then we can provide a letter confirming that your documents are with the Home Office. This letter is not a substitute for your documents or a ‘right to rent’ check.

Home Office online checking system for landlords