The Youth Mobility Scheme allows nationals of certain countries, aged between 18 and 30, to work and study in the UK for 2 years.
Countries part of the scheme
The scheme is only open to passport holders of
- Hong Kong SAR,
- New Zealand,
- Republic of Korea
- San Marino
- British Overseas Citizens,
- British Overseas Territories Citizens and
- British Nationals Overseas.
Visa holders are permitted to carry out most jobs in the UK for up to 2 years.
You must be selected by the Youth Mobility Scheme ballot before you apply for your visa if you are from, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, India and Taiwan.
The India Young Professionals Scheme is open to apply via ballot.
In order to apply you must
- be aged 18-30 on the day of your application,
- be a passport holder of one of the countries specified,
- have held £2530 in savings in your bank account for at least 28 days before you make your visa application
You cannot apply if you have:
- children under the age of 18 who live with you
- children you’re financially responsible for
- already been in the UK under the scheme
|When to apply||The earliest you can apply for your visa is 6 months before you travel.|
How to apply
|You can only apply for your visa from outside the UK.
|Length of visa||Your visa will be issued for up to 2 years.|
|Cost||Application fee + Immigration Health Surcharge|
Visa processing time
Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
It is only possible for someone from New Zealand to extend this visa further.