Imperial College London,
White City Campus,
80 Wood Lane,
London W12 0BZ
About the Campus
A new destination in London
White City is one of the most exciting, dynamic and rapidly changing parts of London.
Boasting a fascinating history, including international exhibitions and Olympic sports, the area began its most recent evolution in 2008, becoming the capital’s go-to destination for entertainment and shopping with the arrival of Westfield London.
It is now quickly establishing itself as a pioneering quarter for arts, culture, innovation, science and learning – with resident organisations including the revamped BBC Media Village, the Royal College of Art and Imperial College London.
A new home for discovery & innovation
Imperial’s White City campus is a platform for innovation and entrepreneurship at the heart of a vibrant area to live, work and play. The College is driving this evolution with a £2 billion investment in a new 23-acre integrated collaborative campus. As a central pillar of this vision, the Molecular Sciences Research Hub is the first facility to host Imperial research and teaching staff.
The White City campus is less than three miles from our existing South Kensington campus and just 500m from our Hammersmith Hospital Campus. With excellent transport links to the rest of London and beyond, this is a well-connected hub with three underground stations providing access to the West End and the City of London.
Imperial’s research has led to some of the most important discoveries and technological advances of the past century, from penicillin to fibre optics. At White City, we’re leading a £2 billion investment in a new 23-acre campus to continue pioneering ways of seeing and shaping the world.
How to find us
By public transport
The nearest Underground station is White City, served by the Central line.
The Campus is also just six minutes walk from Wood Lane station (Circle and Hammersmith and City lines) and just under 20 minutes walk from Shepherd’s Bush station (Central line, Overground and National Rail connections).
Plan your route with the Transport for London journey planner
To plan cycling routes to the White City Campus visit Transport for London’s cycling routes pages.
You can also order free, printed cycling maps of White City and the surrounding area via TfL. The White City area is covered by guides number 6 and 7.
Wood Lane is designated as a ‘route signed or marked for use by cyclists on a mixture of quiet or busier roads’. The section of the Westway on the west side of Wood Lane has an off-road cycle path running parallel to the main road.
Imperial’s White City Campus lies directly next to the A40 dual carriageway road, which serves as a key 'arterial' corridor into the heart of London, and outwards to the North Circular ring road surrounding central London and also onto the M25 Orbital Motorway surrounding greater London.
The closest airport is Heathrow, from where a taxi or other private road transport will take approximately 35 minutes to reach the Campus. Alternatively, the Heathrow Express and Hammersmith and City / Circle line trains will take you into Wood Lane station in approximately 45 minutes.
The Campus is also close to a planned station for a High Speed Rail II service at Old Oak Common, which will take go to Heathrow Airport and beyond to Birmingham and the North of England.
From Imperial’s South Kensington site
A free 35-seat shuttle bus runs hourly, Monday to Friday from the South Kensington Campus (picking up outside the Central Library on Imperial College Road) from 8.10 to 17.10. The route also loops to the Hammersmith Campus. The service also now covers the lunchtime hours.
From Hammersmith Campus
White City Campus is a 10 minute walk from Imperial’s Hammersmith Hospital Campus, via Wood Lane and Du Cane Road
There is parking provision for external, registered visitors and for maintenance contractors who need to access the site. There are also permanent parking spaces for disabled staff and disabled students based at the White City Campus.
Push bicycle parking
All staff and students currently have access to bike parking at the Gradpad facility on the North Site, with 50 internal spaces and 38 secured external spaces.
Front-facing student services, including registry, Student Hub, the Library, the Disability Advisory Service and Student Union are available on a timetabled basis in the common room of the MSRH. Counselling and welfare will continue to be offered at South Kensington Campus, with plans to create services at the White City and Hammersmith Campus in due course.
The Support Services Coordinator, Emily Salandy, is also available every weekday in the MSRH common room from 09.00 to 17.00 for staff and student enquiries. Emily can be contacted by phone on 020 7594 2535.
Student Financial Support*
International Student Support*
|Wednesday||ICU||Disability Advisory Services|
*These are appointment based services
Food and drink
- In Summer 2018, the Translation & Innovation Hub (I-HUB) will open an outlet of the popular café and restaurant chain Benugo, serving barrista-style coffee and fresh sandwiches, as well as larger dishes.
- Later on in 2018, The Invention Room’s public Interaction Zone will open a café and kitchen serving food and some hot snacks, with discounts for Imperial Staff and Students.
- Imperial’s Wolfson café and restaurant at the Hammersmith Campus offers a selection of hot and cold lunch items including jacket potatoes, salads and a deli bar, with discounts for Imperial staff and students.
- Cafes and food outlets are scheduled to open at both the North and South sites of the Campus in 2019.
The immediate and surrounding area
- There is a Nisa Local grocery store and newsagent directly opposite the White City Campus.
- The White City Place Development - on the opposite side of Wood Lane to Imperial’s campus - has a Starbucks café with amble seating and a Tesco Express supermarket store.
- White City Place also has a host of restaurants including Greek eatery, the Athenian; New-York style pizza restaurant Pizza Street; quick service Italian concept Coco di Mama; and American goods bakery Butterscotch, amongst others.
- Westfield London, to the south of the campus, also has dozens of food outlets and restaurant chains.
- To the North of the Campus, there is a traditional British pub, The Pavilion, which is on the junction of Wood Lane and North Pole Road; Thai restaurant The Fusion by Kai, on Latimer Road; and café bar Ariadne’s Nektar, also on Latimer Road.
- White City place (see above) has a large lawn and amphitheatre, which frequently hosts pop-up food vans.
- The nearest public parks, within a 20 minute walk, are Wormwood Scrubs Open Space, with 18 hectares of tree cover and 22 hectares of long grass meadow; Little Wormwood Scrubs, a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINC); and Kensington Memorial Park.
Westway Sports and Fitness Centre
From September, students and staff at the White City and Hammersmith Campuses are being offered discounted access to the Westway Sports and Fitness Centre. The Centre is around a 15min walk away from the White City Campus and has a 100 station gym and exercise studio, large climbing wall, tennis courts and artificial floodlit football pitches. For students there will be no monthly fees (with an annual administration fee). Staff will be offered monthly discounted rates, on a par with the current cost of Club Imperial facilities.
South Kensington Campus
Staff and students who sign-up for services at the Westway Sports and Fitness Centre will also be able to use the swimming pool at the Imperial-run Ethos centre at South Kensington (there is no swimming pool at the Westway Sports and Fitness Centre), but not the gym at Ethos, South Kensington.
The Imperial-run Energia Gym, located in the sub-basement of the Commonwealth Building at Hammersmith campus is open to students, Imperial and NHS staff.
- Gradpad at White City offers accommodation to 600 postgraduate students
- Imperial’s Residential Tower is offering 59 apartments available to rent for Imperial keyworkers at a range of discounts to market. The other 133 units will be rented on the open market. It is expected that the first residents will move in February 2019.
- Shinfield Street, immediately behind the campus on Shinfield Street, are purpose built for Imperial staff. A total of 9, three-bedroom properties are available to rent as either room-only (for single occupancy only) or as a complete flat, ideal for families.
Staff and students based at White City who have children aged between 6 months and 5 years will be eligible for places at the Early Years education centre at 8 Prince's Gardens at the South Kensington Campus – which is expanding capacity from 158 places to 214 places from January 2019. Parents based at White City who have places for their children at Prince’s Gardens Early Years centre will be offered preferential transport onboard shuttle buses and extended hours for pick-up and drop off at the centre.