Frequently asked questions

How do I report a fault/defect with the building?

All problems/faults (e.g. lights not working) should be reported to the Facilities Management helpdesk on 48000. Further information can be found on the Estates Facilities website.

How do I report an IT problem?

Call the ICT Service desk on 49000. Further information can be found on the ICT Service Desk website.

How do I order software from ICT?

Information about ordering software can be found on the ICT website.

If the software is paid for by the Department, you need to email the following information to Siân Haynes, and cc the message to your supervisor:

  • The item(s) you wish to purchase.
  • The cost of the purchase.
  • The full account code of the account from which the money is to be debited.
  • The description you wish to appear on the Journal.

How do I order poster-printing?

You must obtain a quote from Imperial College Paragon  and complete a  and send to (remember to cc your supervisor) as a purchase order will need to be raised. When you receive the purchase order you must complete the Service Point Requisition Form which is on their webpage including the purchase order number.

It is your responsbility to liaise with Paragon to collect your posters from Sherfield Building (East).

Can I take equipment out of the college?

All equipment bought with College funds, (i.e. research grants, departmental accounts, staff accounts) is the property of the College. If you wish to take any equipment out of the College you must ensure:

  1. The custodian is aware and you have his/her agreement.
  2. You have the Head of Department’s approval.
  3. There is adequate insurance cover for the equipment once it has left the College premises.

Failure to do so means you will be liable for the cost of repair or of replacement as new.

Do I have College Travel Insurance?

If you are travelling overseas on College business you must register your travel to be insured with College. Details are set out on the Finance website.

If you are required to provide a security certificate for visa purposes you should contact Siân Haynes or the Insurance Manager with the following information:

  • Your name and CID number.
  • Destination(s) and date(s).

Should you choose to obtain independent insurance coverage the cost will not be reimbursed.

What are Research Council/EC eligible and non-eligible expenses?

Please download the detailed list of eligible and non-eligible expenses.

How do I request a temporary car parking space for someone?

Car parking spaces can be booked for work-related visitors but not for personal use.

If you are requesting a car parking space the following information must be provided. To request access, send the Car Park Booking Form to

Printing and photocopying

Please see the College's webpages for more information on printing, photocopying, scanning and buying credit.

How do I create a PWP (professional web page)?

Information about creating your PWP can be found on the College webguide:

How do I book a conference/lecture room?

Email with details of the date, time and room.

Information about UROP/Occasional/Visiting Students

Before you decide to take on any students please refer to the follow ing guide on departmental policy:


Project students via the ERASMUS scheme - there is a well established procedure and this should be dealt with via the ERASMUS Project Coordinator (Dr Errikos Levis

UROP (Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme)

UROP provides an opportunity for students who have yet to graduate from their masters degree to participate in real research. Because they are 'tasters' for research and are not a part of a degree programme (for which fees would generally be liable) it is critical to avoid conflict with the requirements of our own students, e.g. they should only be carried out outside term time.

The department has to restrict the number of projects it accepts under this scheme each year, especially experimental projects. Priority is given to students from the Department and we do not normally accept students from outside the College. Supervisors must have the funds to cover bursary payments if any and all associated experimental costs. All requests require HoD approval and applications should be sent to Siân Haynes.

Occasional/Visiting Students

Please see our Departmental Visitor Policy for more information.

I'm an international student - can I work whilst studying?

Please see the information on the International Student Support website.