Third Year Links
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Dr Tony Field
Dr Maria Valera-Espina
Dr Anandha Gopalan
Year Abroad Co-Ordinator
Dr Sergio Maffeis
Welcome to the Third Year in the Department of Computing at Imperial College London. This noticeboard contains relevant information for your needs throughout the year. We hope you will have an enjoyable time and all the very best!
We now run a Twitter feed for the 3rd year - follow us: @DoCThirdYear
- The third year provides students with less required courses and more selective courses. In addition to that, students may study one optional course offered by another department in the Engineering Faculty (at the appropriate level), the Imperial College Business School or Imperial Horizons. You can take the Business School courses available on this list and for Imperial Horizons from this list (except any 'Level 1' courses, such as Japanese Level 1) - to register for these courses, please follow the instructions on those pages carefully.
- Please note: Exams for the Spring BPES courses happen in late April/early May, so if you are an MEng student who is on Industrial Placement, you have to make arrangements with your company in order to attend the exam.
- All students (Computing and JMC) are expected to engage in a group project.
- Students in their final year of their BEng and JMC (BEng/BSc) are expected to submit an individual project.
- The third year MEng and JMC (MEng/MSc) students are expected to take up an Industrial placement during the summer.
- For more details on specific elements of the third year, as well as relevant contacts, please refer to the links on the right.
- All teaching will be remote in 2020-2021 and there is no expectation that students would have to be on campus.
Exams (specific to 2020-21)
- Final exams for courses taken during a Term would take place in weeks 10 and 11 of that Term.
- Week 9 of both the Autumn and Summer Terms are set aside as a designated 'revision' week.
- As a one-off this year you can take courses that clash in the timetable since there will be no exam clash.
- Each third-year course has a coursework weighting of 20% with an exam contributing 80%, with the exception of:
- Robotics (60019), Pervasive Computing (60018) and Introduction to Machine Learning (70050) - have a coursework weighting of 30% and an exam contributing 70%,
- Communicating Computer Science in Schools (60003) - evaluated through a combination of a oral presentation, written report, host teacher's comments, teaching material and review of the teaching journal (or logbook).
- Group Projects are done through the Autumn Term. The projects are submitted and assessed during Week 1 of the Spring Term, so do make sure you are back on time after your holidays.
- Each project is undertaken by groups of six-seven 3rd year undergraduates, so please ensure that you sort yourselves out into groups as soon as possible at the start of the year.
- Each group is supervised by DoC/Imperial staff.
- Projects are proposed on the Project Portal.
- MEng Computing students must pass the Group Project (40%) or move to BEng.
This section pertains only to final year BEng and final year JMC (BEng/BSc) students.
- Individual project proposals are put up on the Project Portal early in October and are allocated towards end October.
- Students are expected to list three projects as their choices - one first choice, one second choice and one third choice. Failure to do so will jeopardise your chances of getting your projects in the first round. Students who put up their own projects don't need to list all the three choices.
- If you choose three projects that are very popular, it's likely that you may not get any during the initial allocation phase and will be asked to make another set of choices.
- The Interim Report is due in the middle of February and it's your responsibility to ensure you meet with your second marker to review your project. Failure to do so will count against the 'Project Management' aspect of your Individual Project.
- Individual Project presentations are held during the last week of the summer term, so please ensure that you stay till the end of the term.
This section pertains only to third-year MEng and JMC (MEng/MSc) students.
- Industrial placements are taken up through the summer after the third year (around 6 months for MEng students, from April - September, 2021 and 4 months for JMC students, from June - September, 2021).
- It is better to start looking early and ensure that you have the placement sorted out as soon as possible.
- An element of the assessment of the Industrial Placement is the final presentation, which takes place in Week 1 of the Autumn Term of the new Academic Year. For the current academic year, the presentations will take place on 9th/10th (week 1) October 2020.
Wishing you all the very best for the year ahead :-).