Year of completion
I'm a Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
The most beneficial things about the programme
Opening my eyes to education, the science and the language of education and the theories behind adult learning. The programme and degree have given me a credibility within medical education and helped me to strengthen what was always one of my passions.
My main areas of interest in surgical education
Assessment; medical undergraduate teaching and the teaching of practical skills; dental postgraduate education.
Title of my dissertation
The benefit of a pre operative briefing in a London teaching hospital.
The most important outcome of my research
My work predates the WHO form now used it all hospitals and has allowed me to develop and adjust this intervention locally.
Since getting my degree, here are some of the things I’ve done in education
- I am an educational supervisor in HEEKSS for OMFS trainees and sit on the ARCP panels and the surgical training committees.
- I chair our trusts dental LFG and sit on the Local Academic Board.
- I am chairman of the BAOMS subcommittee on eduction (and revalidation).
- I am a question writer for the FRCS exam in OMFS.
- I have been admitted as a fellow of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers of the RCS Edinburgh, where I regularly teach medical students.
Next I'd like to
Continue on the same trajectory.