Can I take on casual work assignments if I have visa restrictions?

There are a range of restrictions on the type of work and amount of work one can complete depending on the type of visa they hold. As such, it is crucial that no work is done until the Casual Worker Team have confirmed that you can start the role. The Team will check your visa restrictions as part of the onboarding process. Therefore, if you are waiting to commence a casual assignment and the Casual Worker Team have not contacted you, please email your departmental manager.

Can I take on casual work assignments if I am on a contract with Imperial?

Unfortunately limitations to our payment systems mean you cannot undertake casual work if you are on any other type of contract with Imperial.


How do I get paid?

You should keep a record of your hours on the timesheet provided to you by your department. You should submit this to your manager for approval each month. You can find the list of payroll deadlines and the date you will get paid on the 2022 Pay 8B submission deadlines. Please note that each department has its own process and deadline for submission of timesheets. As such, please follow the instructions given by your department.

I'm not sure I've been paid correctly, what should I do?

Please first check your payslip (which you can access on MyImperial). Please check whether there are any deductions. If so, in order to understand them, please read our guidance on payment deductions both on this page and the Existing Casual Workers page. If you believe there is an error in payment which is still unexplained, please contact the Casual Worker team as soon as possible, who will investigate this for you.

Tax and deductions

HMRC look at your monthly salary and assume you will earn that amount each month for the entire tax year. The tax year runs from 6th April to 5th April the following year. Therefore, they apportion your Personal Allowance across the tax year (which is £12,500 for 2020/2021) which might mean you pay income tax in any given month. If you reach the end of the tax year and believe you have paid too much tax, you will need to apply for a tax rebate via HMRC. Please see this link.

How can I access my payslips, P60 and P45?

All of these can be viewed electronically within your MyImperial account.

Worker setup

When can I start work?

Even if you have been offered a work assignement, you must have had a Right to Work check and have been issued with a Casual Hours Agreement before you may start. If you have not undertaken casual work before, the Casual Worker team will contact you to arrange an onboarding meeting.

I do not have a National Insurance number, can I start work?

Yes, you are able to start work prior to receiving your National Insurance number but it is important that you apply for one and update the Casual Worker Team once you have received this. For details on how to apply for a National Insurance number, please follow this link: Please note that if you begin work without a National Insurance Number, you may be put on an emergency tax code, which could cause you to be taxed incorrectly. For guidance on tax issues, please see the above dropdown regarding 'Tax and deductions'.


Where do I go for my onboarding meeting with the Casual Worker team?

The Casual Worker team can currently onboard new workers remotely and the new worker will be contacted to arrange this. Once face-to-face onboarding is allowed again, it is anticipated that the team will have a presence on many of the Imperial campuses, on a rotating basis. This information will be published once confirmed.

I have been a casual worker in the past, can I take on casual work again?

If you have previously registered for casual work and have not been made a leaver, resulting in a P45 being issued, you can take on casual work again. The relevant department will inform us that they wish for you to take on a casual role and we will then send you any appropriate information. If you have been made a leaver, unfortunately you will need to be registered again, and so you cannot begin your assignment until you have received confirmation from the Casual Worker Team.


I no longer want to be a casual worker, what should I do?

If you no longer wish to undertake assignments with Imperial College, please e-mail the Casual Worker team who will issue your P45.

How can I obtain a P45?

P45s are issued when someone leaves a PAYE role. As such, if you wish to obtain a P45 for your casual role, please email Please note that P45s can only be issued for the end of the month, as such it could take until the end of the following month to obtain a P45. To access your P45, please log into your MyImperial account.