Detailed module information
Module information on this degree can be found below, separated by year of study.
The module information below applies for the current academic year. The academic year runs from August to July; the 'current year' switches over at the end of July.
Students select optional courses subject to rules specified in the Mechanical Engineering Student Handbook, for example at most three Design and Business courses. Please note that numbers are limited on some optional courses and selection criteria will apply.
Design and Manufacture 1
To introduce new undergraduate students to the practical elements of mechanical design and
manufacture and to prepare them for the project work they must undertake in the 2nd and 3rd years of the course. Teaching the full extent of the design process from customer brief through to conceptual and detail design. The instruction extends to teaching practical manufacturing skills to enable students to make these designs themselves in the departmental workshops.
ECTS units: 10
On completion of the module, students will be able to:
1. Convert a simple task brief into a Product Design Specification.
2. Produce a fully functional shaft assembly design for a transmission application.
3. Select appropriate size fits and tolerances for a shaft assembly design.
4. An understanding of basic manufacturing processes and their capabilities.
5. Create simple parts and assemblies using 3D CAD solid modelling.
6. Document product features & functions by annotated freehand sketches.
7. Produce industry standard engineering drawings on CAD.
Design representation (sketching & drawing).
CAD solid modelling of parts & assemblies.
Product design process.
Drive transmission & shaft design.
Engineering drawing (on CAD).
Variation and tolerances.
|Allocation of study hours|
|Assessment type||Assessment description||Weighting||Pass mark|
|Coursework||Individual Exercise - CAD model||40%||40%|
|Coursework||Individual Exercise - Logbook||20%||40%|
|Coursework||Individual Exercise - Engineering drawings||40%||40%|
|Examination||CAD & Manufacturing Progress Test||0%||0%|