Detailed module information
Module information on this degree can be found below, separated by year of study.
The module information below applies for the current academic year. The academic year runs from August to July; the 'current year' switches over at the end of July.
Students select optional courses subject to rules specified in the Mechanical Engineering Student Handbook, for example at most three Design and Business courses. Please note that numbers are limited on some optional courses and selection criteria will apply.
Structure, Properties and Applications of Polymers B
ECTS units: 5
On completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Explain the relationship between structure, processing and properties of engineering polymers.
2. Select a polymer for given service conditions, accounting for processing and recycling limitations.
3. Propose a method for processing a specified polymer to a given shape.
4. Explain viscoelastic behaviour in terms of simple spring-dashpot models.
5. Explain the failure mechanisms of polymers in given service conditions.
6. Critique, assess and review articles, publications and statements regarding plastic use and recycling, demonstrating a deep understanding of the technology and its issues and an appreciation of the way this is communicated.
|Assessment type||Assessment description||Weighting||Pass mark||Must pass?|
|Examination||3 Hour exam||100%||50%||Y|