BSc Medical Biosciences
Developing our new BSc Medical Biosciences degree
The Educational Developments team supports the development of new academic programmes within the Faculty of Medicine Education Office, from conception to delivery.
In 2018, following three years of extensive pedagogical design and curriculum development, the team launched Imperial’s new BSc Medical Biosciences programme, exploring the science underpinning human health. This involved a wholesale re-design of undergraduate science teaching, with input from academics, clinicians and industry partners into all aspects of the curriculum and programme structrure.
Key features of the programme include:
- An innovative blended learning model with no traditional lectures
- Team Based Learning delivery
- Extensive laboratory programme in bespoke ‘Lab Pods’ tackling real-life research questions
- Students offered a wide range of external laboratory and workplace projects in their final year
- Partnership with AstraZeneca and 20+ other companies to host students on placements in commercial laboratories
- An optional fourth year with the Imperial College Business School to embed entrepreneurship
Market Research - The team delivered the faculty’s first holistic market assessment to support the business case for the new degree programme, including market size, competitor analysis and long-term feasibility.
Governance and approval - The team has extensive experience managing governance approvals for new programmes and amendments to existing courses, including innovative blended models of delivery.
Development management - Following approval, we project manage the development of short courses, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.