The field of aeronautics faces many exciting environmental and energy challenges which require major reductions in emissions, noise and aircraft weight.
The precision expertise associated with this has also stimulated a range of related aerospace and non-aeronautical activities.
Our research is funded through many sources including the EPSRC, the EU, and a range of industrial and government collaborators. We have many state-of-the-art research facilities, some of which are unique to the UK which are also used for teaching and commercial research.
- Flow control
- Biological fluid mechanics
Aerospace materials and structures
- Composites and materials innovation
- Multifunctional materials
- Smart and micro air vehicles
Computational methods and mathematical modelling
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computational Structural Mechanics
- Optimisation and Control